The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mentioning a quorum within the minutes

cuhri

Do you need to state within the minutes that there is a quorum when you've already listed the directors in attendance? I was told that when someone makes a motion and there is a vote, that you must mention that there is a quorum in the minutes. Isn't it implied that there is a quorum when you've taken a vote?

Do you need to state within the minutes that there is a quorum when you've already listed the directors in attendance? I was told that when someone makes a motion and there is a vote, that you must mention that there is a quorum in the minutes. Isn't it implied that there is a quorum when you've taken a vote?

Ask the person who told you that to cite a parliamentary reference, preferably in RONR. I'll bet thay can't cite anything applicable.

Isn't it implied that there is a quorum when you've taken a vote?

Well, without a quorum, there isn't much that you can do, but even some of those actions require voting. But otherwise, in order to "conduct business" you need to have a quorum. Assuming your leader(s) play by the rule book, one could assume that if the minutes include reference to motions being made, debated, amended and voted upon, that there was indeed a quorum present.

This person may be confusing "quorum" with "vote requirement." However, neither needs to be in the minutes.

If the vote is by roll call, then the minutes will show that enough members were present to constitute a quorum. Otherwise, there need not be any record of the fact that a quorum was present at the time of the vote, and you're correct -- it is implied that the quorum requirement has been complied with.

Archived