The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Excecutive Session

Guest Susan Pollard

Guest Susan Pollard

While in a board meeting I was taking minutes. In the middle of the board meeting, because of the sensitivity of the topic there was a motion to go into exceutive session. I stopped writing anything down then when there was a motion to leave executive session I starting taking minutes again. We approved the written minutes. Someone told me I shoul not have written anything down during the whole meeting and we should not be voting on it. I am confused. I said we must approve the minutes before and after the exceutive session. Was I correct

While in a board meeting I was taking minutes. In the middle of the board meeting, because of the sensitivity of the topic there was a motion to go into exceutive session. I stopped writing anything down then when there was a motion to leave executive session I starting taking minutes again. We approved the written minutes. Someone told me I shoul not have written anything down during the whole meeting and we should not be voting on it. I am confused. I said we must approve the minutes before and after the exceutive session. Was I correct

Minutes should still be taken in executive session. The only difference in minutes from executive session and other minutes is that minutes taken in executive session can only be read and approved in executive session. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 93, l. 16-25.

Archived