The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinding a Two-Thirds Vote

Guest Two Thirds Confused

At a special meeting of our Board of Directors we voted to remove a board member by the two thirds required in our by laws. Now there is serious talk of the possibility of rescinding that vote. Is a similar two-thirds of all the board members required to rescind the prior vote, or can this be done with a majority after previous notice is given? Is this even a possible case of a motion where reconsideration is prohibited or limited? Thanks in advance.

At a special meeting of our Board of Directors we voted to remove a board member by the two thirds required in our by laws. Now there is serious talk of the possibility of rescinding that vote. Is a similar two-thirds of all the board members required to rescind the prior vote, or can this be done with a majority after previous notice is given? Is this even a possible case of a motion where reconsideration is prohibited or limited? Thanks in advance.

As far as the rules in RONR are concerned, the motion to expel the member from the board cannot be rescinded, RONR (10th ed.), p. 298, ll. 1-8.

As far as the rules in RONR are concerned, the motion to expel the member from the board cannot be rescinded, RONR (10th ed.), p. 298, ll. 1-8.

That is true only if "the person was present, or has been officially notified of the action." (lL. 3-4.) The OP does not say if the member was present or has been notified.

The expelled member was not present at the meeting in which the motion passed. This is part of the reason why we now want to reconsider the motion, so that he can lay out his case.

I've got a better idea. The action taken by the board was in such gross violation of the due process rights of the defendant that I think the society should expel the guilty members from the board for misconduct.

Let me try to give a little more info. The reason for the meeting was not unknown to the member and he did have opportunity to respond before hand. Of course that was not during the meeting. The information presented - even if one-sided on the surface - was enough to arrive at the two thirds vote to remove him.

So my question then goes back to my original post. Under RONR should the board be able to rescind the prior vote with a simple majority with previous notice?

Let me try to give a little more info. The reason for the meeting was not unknown to the member and he did have opportunity to respond before hand. Of course that was not during the meeting. The information presented - even if one-sided on the surface - was enough to arrive at the two thirds vote to remove him.

So my question then goes back to my original post. Under RONR should the board be able to rescind the prior vote with a simple majority with previous notice?

Do what you like. I'm more interested in seeing that the board members involved in this sorry business are expelled.

Do what you like. I'm more interested in seeing that the board members involved in this sorry business are expelled.

Our by laws fully allow removal for cause or without cause. Maybe you would care to explain how due process applies here. I just don't see how you can assume that it is relevant, especially when you don't appear to have enough information to make such a judgment.

I'm just seeking advice for a procedural way to revisit the issue I first brought up.

I'm just seeking advice for a procedural way to revisit the issue I first brought up.

If the Board member has not been officially notified of his removal from the Board the vote of removal can be Rescinded. If he has been officially notified then it is too late to undo what was done. Your only option at that point is to put him back on the Board (using whatever vacancy filling provision the bylaws spell out) and then give him a chance to defend himself before deciding whether to remove him again.

If the Board member has not been officially notified of his removal from the Board the vote of removal can be Rescinded. If he has been officially notified then it is too late to undo what was done. Your only option at that point is to put him back on the Board (using whatever vacancy filling provision the bylaws spell out) and then give him a chance to defend himself before deciding whether to remove him again.

You are assuming the member was called to this "special meeting" and allowed to attend. I have my doubts.

You are assuming the member was called to this "special meeting" and allowed to attend. I have my doubts.

Ah, I see where you are going with the due process issue now. I agree that unless the bylaws expressly suspend some or all of the rights of membership when someone is facing disciplinary action that they would have a right to attend the meeting, speak in debate on it, and vote on the question and if the member is deprived of a right that has not been suspended the whole affair is null and void (RONR p. 244[e]). Of course, all of those rights (except as related to the trial-which I assume would include being able to attend and be heard) are suspended when a Chapter XX trial is held but since there are customized rules involved what Chapter XX might not apply and it will be up to the organization to determine what rights of the accused are retained and which are suspended.

Archived