The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Reports

Guest Joanne

What is the proper verbiage to submit a report from a committee?

And when do you address the recommendations in the report?

In RONR, Section 51, Reports of Boards and Committees, is a dense 27 pages. It is summarized on p. 164 - 165 of RONR - In Brief, which I suggest you start with, without delay.

Generally, a report is read to the assembly, unless it is so short that it can be easily recorded in the minutes, accurately and completely. The recommendations should be grouped at the end (or, if they appear throughout the report, they should be repeated at the end), and the reporting member should move their adoption.

(That's a stab. No wonder nobody else tried all day. JOanne, try looking at those 27 pages. Not all at once. Stop for deep breaths occasionally.)

What is the proper verbiage to submit a report from a committee?

If you're asking about the protocol for presenting the report to the assembly, the reporting member should let the chair know that the committee has a report. The chair will then call on the reporting member at the appropriate time in the meeting. The reporting member reads the report straight through, without any embellishments or explanations.

And when do you address the recommendations in the report?

After reading the report, the reporting member should move the adoption of the recommendations. This does not require a second, if the committee is composed of more than one person.

After reading the report, the reporting member should move the adoption of the recommendations. This does not require a second, if the committee is composed of more than one person.

Better yet, the reporting member should make whatever motion(s) are necessary to do what is recommended in the report.

• 2 months later...

There is a debate in our garden club on whether the Treasurer's Report must be motioned and voted on to accept or not. Doesn't Article IX Section 54 apply to this 'statement of fact" simple financial report?:

Art IX Sect. 54

When the report of a committee has been received, that is, has been presented to the assembly and either read or handed to the chair or the secretary, the next business in order is the disposal of the report, the proper disposition depending upon its nature.

1) If the report contains only a statement of fact or opinion for the information of the assembly, the reporting member makes no motion for its disposal, as there is no necessity for action on the report. But if any action is taken, the proper motion, which should be made by some one else, is to "accept the report," which has the effect of endorsing the statement and making the assembly assume responsibility for it.

There is a debate in our garden club on whether the Treasurer's Report must be motioned and voted on to accept or not. Doesn't Article IX Section 54 apply to this 'statement of fact" simple financial report?:

Art IX Sect. 54

When the report of a committee has been received, that is, has been presented to the assembly and either read or handed to the chair or the secretary, the next business in order is the disposal of the report, the proper disposition depending upon its nature.

1) If the report contains only a statement of fact or opinion for the information of the assembly, the reporting member makes no motion for its disposal, as there is no necessity for action on the report. But if any action is taken, the proper motion, which should be made by some one else, is to "accept the report," which has the effect of endorsing the statement and making the assembly assume responsibility for it.

A routine treasurer's report is simply a report to the assembly, and does not require any action from the assembly (see RONR 11th ed. p 477, which says exactly that). Also, on p. 479 is the following: "No action of acceptance by the assembly is required -- or proper -- on a financial report of the treasurer unless it is of sufficient importance, as an annual report, to be referred to auditors. In the latter case it is the auditors' report which the assembly accepts."

Your bylaws would supersede the rules in RONR, but your bylaws seem to (redundantly) recapitulate the rule in RONR. The assembly should not vote to accept a routine report -- for exactly the reason stated in your bylaws snippet.

Also, just a note in case you have future questions -- it is best to ask a new question in a new thread (even if it seems related to an existing thread on the forum).

Your bylaws would supersede the rules in RONR, but your bylaws seem to (redundantly) recapitulate the rule in RONR. The assembly should not vote to accept a routine report -- for exactly the reason stated in your bylaws snippet.

That appears to be a snippet from the 1915 edition of Robert's Rules.

That appears to be a snippet from the 1915 edition of Robert's Rules.

That makes sense, and also explains the unusually good grammar in what I -- apparently erroneously -- assumed was a clip from the poster's bylaws. I did wonder, in passing, how they got up to section 54 -- those must be some mighty long bylaws... :).

Guess I should browse through the 1915 edition... in my copious free time. In the meantime I'll feel free to keep putting my foot in my mouth when someone quotes from the older book :lol: .

gardengirl, do your bylaws actually specify that you must use that particular version of Robert's Rules?

Archived