The Official RONR Q & A Forums

meeting minutes

Guest Roberts, Roney

But do I have to let them view the minutes when they ask to?

Yes. Any member of an assembly has a right to view the minutes of that assembly.

Is there a reason you think the member does not have the right to view the minutes? Is there any additional information you think may be relevant to the situation?

Guest Roberts, Rodney

Six of the Sevan Board members met at the Presidents house with the member about a storage container that the member has on thier lot, and all six of us agreed that if she would make the container look like a shed we would be ok with it. Then we later asked her to give us a letter of veriance so it would be above board and all, she did this then at the regular meeting we voted against her.

Six of the Sevan Board members met at the Presidents house with the member about a storage container that the member has on thier lot, and all six of us agreed that if she would make the container look like a shed we would be ok with it. Then we later asked her to give us a letter of veriance so it would be above board and all, she did this then at the regular meeting we voted against her.

Okay, is this member a board member or just a member of the society?

And your question is . . . ?

Guest Roberts, Rodney

She is a member of the property owners associations, and now that we voted her down after the meeting in the Presidents yard and we told her to buy the matterials and go ahead with the upgrade she wants a copy of the minutes so she can sue us. Do I have to give her this ?

She is a member of the property owners associations, and now that we voted her down after the meeting in the Presidents yard and we told her to buy the matterials and go ahead with the upgrade she wants a copy of the minutes so she can sue us. Do I have to give her this ?

If the individual is not a member of the board, she does not have a right to a copy of the board's minutes.

Evan if Our BI- Laws state that the members can get copies of the minutes and financial upon request?

Ah...the details keep on dribbling out. If your bylaws require that members get copies of the minutes upon request then as far as RONR is concerned (since bylaws are higher ranking than RONR) the member should be getting a copy of the minutes since they were requested.

Evan if Our BI- Laws state that the members can get copies of the minutes and financial upon request?

If your Bylaws state that the members can get copies of the minutes upon request, then they may do so, as your Bylaws trump RONR. At this point, I'm puzzled as to why you asked the question in the first place, since it appears the answer was right in your Bylaws.

If your Bylaws state that the members can get copies of the minutes upon request, then they may do so, as your Bylaws trump RONR. At this point, I'm puzzled as to why you asked the question in the first place, since it appears the answer was right in your Bylaws.

I fear it's because Roberts, Rodney didn't like the answer. You know, he's looking for a second opinion. Unfortunately, the second, third, and fourth answers will all agree with the initial one.

I fear it's because Roberts, Rodney didn't like the answer. You know, he's looking for a second opinion. Unfortunately, the second, third, and fourth answers will all agree with the initial one.

I don't think that can be said as a declarative, unqualified fact, and therefore shouldn't.

(I refer to the middle sentence. The first sentence is legitimate opinion; the third is close to inarguable.)

I don't think that can be said as a declarative, unqualified fact, and therefore shouldn't.

(I refer to the middle sentence. The first sentence is legitimate opinion; the third is close to inarguable.)

The second sentence was intended to expound upon the first. It wasn't meant to stand alone. However, I think it stands alone just fine, because whenever a person has a first opinion and asks the same question of a different source, I would say he is looking for a second opinion (and to be clear, looking for a second opinion doesn't mean looking for an opposing or more desirable opinion-- it just means a second one).

Archived