The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling a Motion out of order after a vote was taken

Guest Mike B

Can a motion that was properly formed and seconded, discussed and allowed to be voted on by the President, be called out of order after the meeting was adjourned - several days later? I believe if the President thought the motion was out of order, he should have ruled it out of order before he allowed a vote to be taken. Is my thought correct, and is there a page that I can refer too?

Can a motion that was properly formed and seconded, discussed and allowed to be voted on by the President, be called out of order after the meeting was adjourned - several days later? I believe if the President thought the motion was out of order, he should have ruled it out of order before he allowed a vote to be taken.

Just to be clear, each member of the assembly has the obligation to keep an eye on the rules and the right to demand that they be enforced. So, it was the assembly that allowed the motion to be adopted (and adopted it), not just the president.

Can a motion that was properly formed and seconded, discussed and allowed to be voted on by the President, be called out of order after the meeting was adjourned - several days later?

Generally not, but there are some exceptions. Even if it is a continuing breach, however, he would have to make his ruling at a meeting.

I believe if the President thought the motion was out of order, he should have ruled it out of order before he allowed a vote to be taken. Is my thought correct, and is there a page that I can refer too?

You are generally correct, although there are some exceptions. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 243-244 for more information on the subject. If you could provide some details as to why the President believes the motion is out of order, we may be able to help determine if it falls under one of the exceptions.

Archived