The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Seconding a motion

Don Fletcher

Is any required wording needed to second a main motion?

RONR p. 34 says:

After a motion has been made, another member who wishes it to be considered says, "I second the motion," or, "I second it," or even, "Second!"-without obtaining the floor, and in small assemblies without rising.* In large assemblies, and especially in those where nonmembers may be seated in the hall, the seconder should stand, and without waiting to be recognized should state his name (with other identification, if appropriate) and say, "Mr. President [or "Mr. Chairman"], I second the motion." In some organizations, especially labor unions, the word "support" is used in place of "second."
I have been told that even if a council member asks for clarification after a main motion is made, then that will be considered as a second to the main motion.

Whoever told you that is incorrect. The purpose of a second is to determine if there is someone other than whoever made the motion that would like to see the motion considered.

Is any required wording needed to second a main motion? I have been told that even if a council member asks for clarification after a main motion is made, then that will be considered as a second to the main motion.

Usually, the word "second" is used or a commonly understood alternative. The idea that a motion is considered to be seconded because a member asks for "clarification" is not a concept that comes from RONR. However, if the assembly begins to consider the motion without it being seconded, the lack of a second becomes immaterial and the consideration proceeds as if the motion had been seconded.

Archived