The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a secretary vote

Guest Lisa

I belong to a club and the secretary votes, motions, states her opinons. I was wondering if this was acceptable to Robert's Rules? I have been trying to find the answer online but I have not had any luck. If someone could answer the following questions and give me a reference to where I can find it it would be great.

1) What is the role of a secretary? 2) Is the secretary able to voice his/her opinion? 3) Is the secretary allowed to vote? and 4) Does the secretary have to have the presidents approval or input before sending out the mintues of the meeting?

1) What is the role of a secretary? 2) Is the secretary able to voice his/her opinion? 3) Is the secretary allowed to vote? and 4) Does the secretary have to have the presidents approval or input before sending out the mintues of the meeting?

1. See RONR (10th Ed.) beginning on page 442, and also your bylaws which may include secretarial duties.

2. Yes, although his or her (I'm assuming you know the gender of yours) "opinion" should be expressed during debate on motions. (RONR pg 3 lines 8-12)

3. Yes. (RONR pg 3 lines 8-12)

4. No. (I can't locate a citation about something that isn't a rule, but maybe someone else will.)

#2-4 are based on RONR. Your bylaws or other rules may say otherwise.

I belong to a club and the secretary votes, motions, states her opinons. I was wondering if this was acceptable to Robert's Rules?

If she is a member, yes.

I have been trying to find the answer online but I have not had any luck.

You've come to the right place.

If someone could answer the following questions and give me a reference to where I can find it it would be great.

See David's responses, and insert into answers 2 and 3 "if she's a member."

The answer may stem from understanding several different types of roles of a "secretary" at a meeting.

The "Secretary" of a board or organization (details are in your bylaws and RONR) is an officer, normally a member of the body meeting, and has full rights and responsibilities as a member and officer. This "Secretary" is generally (or always) the person referred to by folks here.

Often, however, for various reasons, someone else will be "asked" or "told" to come to the meeting, take notes for minutes and be the "secretary". Perhaps this is the Chairman/President's office secretary. For this "secretary", often he/she is not even a member of the body that is meeting, is certainly not an officer of the body and does not have a vote and has no right to enter into substantive discussion and debate.

Archived