The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The Chairs assistance

Guest gregoryhofer

I think somewhere else, too, that I can't locate right now. But I'm pretty sure that neither case is a requirement, but encouragement.

Well, page 38 lines 7-11 offer more, although it's a little ambiguous. The chair has a duty to make sure a motion that "is not clear or that requires smoothing before it can be recorded in the minutes" is put into a "suitable form" before the question is stated. It's not clear who is responsible for such clarifying and smoothing, but this does sound more requirement than encouragement.

Well, page 38 lines 7-11 offer more, although it's a little ambiguous. The chair has a duty to make sure a motion that "is not clear or that requires smoothing before it can be recorded in the minutes" is put into a "suitable form" before the question is stated. It's not clear who is responsible for such clarifying and smoothing, but this does sound more requirement than encouragement.

I think it would have to be an encouragement unless RONR would support the Chair ruling a motion out of order (subject to Appeal of course) if it needs clarification or smoothing and the member making the motion is perfectly happy with how he made it. Personally I think that unless the motion is so awful that the reader's eyes would melt when reading it in the minutes that the Chair should admit it as is and leave it up to the assembly to clarify, smooth, perfect, wordsmith, or whatever they feel is necessary to reflect the will of the assembly.

It is the duty of the chair to offer what assistance he can; however, the motion belongs to the maker until it is stated by the chair, so any suggested changes must be agreeable to the maker. If suggested changes are refused, the chair must decide whether the maker's version is in order under the rules.

Archived