The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ex officio member

Guest Kim Kaufman

I am on the board of a non-profit. The Chair of the board has declared he can be an "ex officio" member of any committee. There is no provision in by-laws for this. Is this acceptable? He can basically do none of the work, show up when he wants and make motions and vote?

No.

"This section may also provide that certain officers - for example, the president - "shall be ex officio a member of all committees except the Nominating Committee." In that case, the president has the right, but not the duty, of participating in the work of the committees (see also pp. 466-67, 480). Without such a provision, he has no vote within the committees, nor can he attend their meetings except as invited by a particular committee." RONR, p. 561

Dan hates copy and paste almost as much as typing. :)

Dan hates copy and paste almost as much as typing. :)

Do you think he copied and pasted the "No," or do you think he has a special keyboard with the following three keys:

1. YES

2. NO

3. As stated on its Introductory Page, “this Forum is provided to allow an open exchange of views relevant to specific questions of parliamentary procedure under Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised”. This question is not one concerning what is or is not proper parliamentary procedure under the rules in RONR. As a consequence, we respectfully request that those interested in pursuing this question do so by private email, or other means outside of this forum.

Do you think he copied and pasted the "No," or do you think he has a special keyboard with the following three keys:

1. YES

2. NO

3. As stated on its Introductory Page, “this Forum is provided to allow an open exchange of views relevant to specific questions of parliamentary procedure under Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised”. This question is not one concerning what is or is not proper parliamentary procedure under the rules in RONR. As a consequence, we respectfully request that those interested in pursuing this question do so by private email, or other means outside of this forum.

Considering the answer was found in Robert's... how can you say this wasn't a parliamentary matter and shouldn't be on this forum? The answer was very helpful to my particular situation. Thank you.

He wasn't saying that. What you were reading was an inside joke among some of the regular posters at the expense of our well respected and esteemed leader (or we let him think he is since we fear The Wrath Of Dan!).

Considering the answer was found in Robert's... how can you say this wasn't a parliamentary matter and shouldn't be on this forum? The answer was very helpful to my particular situation. Thank you.

Sorry for the confusion I caused, Kim. As Chris pointed out, this was an inside joke that had nothing to do with your post.

I figured that since the first two responses so expertly answered your question, there was little to be added... yet, I added. :rolleyes:

Archived