The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session attendance via video conference

lisaault

What if he doesn't vote, therefore not violating the prohibition against absentee voting?

I think that doing so would create a slippery slope because a member who cannot vote (for whatever reason) is not a member as defined under RONR p. 3. Then that brings up all sort of problems if the bylaws don't create a class of membership to cover such a situation such as what rights does this person have as a nonmember (as far as RONR and their bylaws are concerned)? Can they make motions or enter into debate without the rules being suspended? Or worse yet, can the assembly decide that they don't want to let this quasi-nonmember participate by video-conference in the first place or decide to cut off the feed if he is saying something they don't like (but no rule has been violated by this quasi-nonmember)?

I think that doing so would create a slippery slope because a member who cannot vote (for whatever reason) is not a member as defined under RONR p. 3. Then that brings up all sort of problems if the bylaws don't create a class of membership to cover such a situation such as what rights does this person have as a nonmember (as far as RONR and their bylaws are concerned)? Can they make motions or enter into debate without the rules being suspended? Or worse yet, can the assembly decide that they don't want to let this quasi-nonmember participate by video-conference in the first place or decide to cut off the feed if he is saying something they don't like (but no rule has been violated by this quasi-nonmember)?

I think you are quite right that the person would be effectively a nonmember so far as the rules are concerned. A majority vote would be sufficient to let him be "present" by videoconference or speak when no motion is pending, a 2/3 vote would be required to let him speak in debate or make a motion, and the person could not vote at all. Whether this is a good idea depends on the assembly.

Archived