The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ruling motions out of order

gregory

A while back I was advised by this forum that motions that are ruled out of order must be ruled out of order in the meeting,

as opposed to after the meeting is over, can someone refresh my memory as to what page in RONR where that fact is made crystal

clear as I will be using it tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.

A while back I was advised by this forum that motions that are ruled out of order must be ruled out of order in the meeting,

as opposed to after the meeting is over, can someone refresh my memory as to what page in RONR where that fact is made crystal

In most cases, a motion must be ruled out of order at the time of the breach, and in such cases it would certainly be too late after the meeting is over. In a few cases, a violation constitutes a continuing breach, and the motion may be ruled out of order at a later meeting. The President has no authority to make rulings outside of a meeting. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 243-244 for more information.

We may be able to determine whether this situation constitutes a continuing breach if you could provide more details.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to review the section on Point of Order in RONR (10th ed.), §23, pp. 240ff. There are some good examples beginning at the bottom of p. 244.

Archived