The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording vote on a motion

Guest Ron Allen

Does Robert's Rules allow a board member to require that the vote on a motion be recorded in the official minutes using the names of those voting and how they voted? This is for a Home Owners Association Board of Directors. Our Bylaws do not require this nor do they provide the option for it, but one of our board members insisted that it be recorded in the minutes exactly how each board member voted on their motion.

Thank you. It would be helpful if a reply could be made to me at my email address of falcatreasurer@gmail.com also.

No.

What you describe is only done when the Board (not a member alone) agrees to take the vote by roll call.

I'll admit this is quibbling but IMO the board could order that the minutes show how each member voted regardless of the way the vote was taken and they must record the way each member voted in the case of a roll call. For example, if the vote were unanimous, a member could move that the secretary be directed to note that fact in the minutes.

-Bob

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 405, l. 17-22, for reasons why a Roll-Call Vote is usually not appropriate.

Thank you very much Tim. I am new to this Forum and website - can you tell me exactly how to find the page and document that you referenced? Or better yet, could you provide a link to it? This has become a very heated discussion in our association and it would be good to have the information on why this type of vote is inappropriate (which I feel adamantly myself).

Thank you very much Tim. I am new to this Forum and website - can you tell me exactly how to find the page and document that you referenced? Or better yet, could you provide a link to it? This has become a very heated discussion in our association and it would be good to have the information on why this type of vote is inappropriate (which I feel adamantly myself).

There is no "link" available. The current edition is not "online."

The citation is from the current and thus officially applicable Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR), the 10th Edition, (10th ed.), and refers to page 405, lines 17-22 (p. 405 l. 17-22). All of that is the abbreviated way of pointing you to somewhere in the book to read.

The citation is from the current and thus officially applicable Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR), the 10th Edition, (10th ed.), and refers to page 405, lines 17-22 (p. 405 l. 17-22). All of that is the abbreviated way of pointing you to somewhere in the book to read.

But the answer to your original question is still, no. :)

Thank you for this information. I will try to obtain a copy of the publication from my library. I appreciate your quick reply.

Ron

I'll admit this is quibbling but IMO the board could order that the minutes show how each member voted regardless of the way the vote was taken and they must record the way each member voted in the case of a roll call. For example, if the vote were unanimous, a member could move that the secretary be directed to note that fact in the minutes.

Then to continue the quibble, the board can order whatever it wants, but it will not be possible to ensure that the vote is recorded accurately unless it is done by roll call. In even a small group, attempting to show how each member voted in response to a voice vote will be impossible. Even a counted rising vote in a group of moderate size will not afford the time required to record each person's name and how they voted with anything approaching reasonable accuracy. And on a ballot vote, well.... Your example of a unanimous vote may well be the only example that actually works, but it's still impossible to say for certain who voted and who abstained.

I think it would be reasonable to say that a special rule of order can dictate that all substantive votes be taken by roll call but, short of that, I don't think an order to simply record that which is not known can be considered anything but frivolous.

Archived