The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda

Guest Iris Long

Hello,

I have a question about Agendas. In a set of (HOA) Bylaws, what it written is that "the order of business shall be.."

I submitted suggestions for the Agenda and received a response stating "someone put a meeting agenda in our initiating by-laws." The impression this gave me is that because the "order of business" is in the Bylaws, there was no allowance for variance. I believe Robert's Rules allow for flexibility. Perhaps you can comment and provide applicable sections of RONR? Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. I think the main point is to have the Agenda reflect what is going on with the HOA and reflect the major issues the organization needs to address instead of having one or two people say what will be on the Agenda of the Board of Directors.

Thanks for your reply. I think the main point is to have the Agenda reflect what is going on with the HOA and reflect the major issues the organization needs to address instead of having one or two people say what will be on the Agenda of the Board of Directors.

Perhaps a good start is to have the order of business removed from the bylaws?

not likely, but as I asked before, aren't there sections of RONR that apply to raise a point? The Bylaws should be updated anyway, but that is another difficult topic for this Board.

Apparently you want to amend an established order of business found in your bylaws to better fit the needs of the group in today's world, so no, there really aren't any quick fixes which get to the heart of the problem (which I'm still not sure what the problem is exactly).

Perhaps a good start is to have the order of business removed from the bylaws?

Then you would be left with the order of business in RONR, which would arguably be even less tailored to the needs of the organization.

I think a distinction should be drawn between an order of business, which simply tells which classes of business are handled in what order, and an actual agenda, which lists particular items of business to be dealt with.

Regardless of the actual order of business in the bylaws, it is certainly more general than an agenda would be, and if it is preventing members from bringing up business that they want considered, then it is quite likely that someone is misinterpreting or misrepresenting what it actually means.

Archived