The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The Modern Rules of Order

Guest Greg

All,

Is anyone familiar with The Modern Rules of Order? I know that most authors here specialize in Robert's Rules of Order but my organization uses The Modern Rules of Order (which I believe the latest edition in the 3rd edition). My question is as follows:

During a meeting if quorum is established and members depart during such meeting so that there is less than a quorum present can business still be conducted?

Thanks in advance.

All,

Is anyone familiar with The Modern Rules of Order? I know that most authors here specialize in Robert's Rules of Order but my organization uses The Modern Rules of Order (which I believe the latest edition in the 3rd edition). My question is as follows:

During a meeting if quorum is established and members depart during such meeting so that there is less than a quorum present can business still be conducted?

Thanks in advance.

According to Robert's Rules, the answer is no. Business cannot be legally transacted without a quorum. However, Robert's Rules is not binding on an organization that has not adopted it as its parliamentary authority.

If you'd like to get the full benefit of this forum, you might consider making a motion to amend your bylaws to name Robert's Rules as its parliamentary authority. Click this link to see how.

Is anyone familiar with The Modern Rules of Order?

Personally, I am not, and even if anyone here is, discussion of other parliamentary authorities is beyond the scope of this forum.

Under RONR, the answer is no (except for the four procedural motions which may be considered in the absence of a quorum). I haven't a clue what The Modern Rules of Order has to say on the subject.

Archived