The Official RONR Q & A Forums

minutes content

tamela

Please clarify what is included in "minutes" and provide current resources which may be used for verification. In "ancient history" (the 60s :rolleyes: ) the secretary had to know shorthand or be very quick with a pen because every word (including who said it) had to be recorded (as long as it pertained to the meeting topics. Recently I've seen what seem to me to be meeting summaries called "minutes". They are often quite sketchy and don't record the discussion which led to a decision. Please update me.

For many years, my mom was the "Secretary" and I remember her trying to teach me the squiggles and scratches of shorthand. I found it interesting that this sentence could be reduced to little more than "~/.-l"

I mention this because my mom was the secretary for the town hall and took the "minutes" for selectman's meetings and all the town departments, and so I'm wondering if your interest has anything to do with public entities, which may require more than the RONR-endorsed "done not said" approach.

I may be "old" but I'm still learning! Thanks for the information so far. My experience was Girl Scouts and High School and that was what I was taught - doesn't mean it was "right". My current need is for church and volunteer involvement. Simpler is better as long as it doesn't get in the way of the need for "transparency". I will look for the reference mentioned. Any comments on the need to know what options were discarded and why before a motion is passed? That can sometimes be a sticking point if someone not at the meeting reads the minutes and is concerned that a particular option may not have been considered before a motion was passed.

Any comments on the need to know what options were discarded and why before a motion is passed? That can sometimes be a sticking point if someone not at the meeting reads the minutes and is concerned that a particular option may not have been considered before a motion was passed.

If they were that concerned they should have been there. Read the cited pages carefully including the sample minutes on those pages.......they're plenty transparent.

Any comments on the need to know what options were discarded and why before a motion is passed? That can sometimes be a sticking point if someone not at the meeting reads the minutes and is concerned that a particular option may not have been considered before a motion was passed.

The purpose of minutes is to be a record of what was done at a meeting. If a member wants to know what was said or what options were considered (many of which would not be in the minutes formatted the way that RONR recommends) they should attend the meetings and find out for themselves or ask someone who was there.

The problem with having more information in the minutes than what RONR recommends is that from experience reading this forum for the last 6-7 years I can almost guarantee that within a year or so of adding the extra information in the minutes that someone is going to raise a ruckus because the minutes said someone said something that they will claim up and down they never said or that the minutes were inaccurate regarding whether or not an option was actually considered.

The purpose of minutes is to be a record of what was done at a meeting. If a member wants to know what was said or what options were considered (many of which would not be in the minutes formatted the way that RONR recommends) they should attend the meetings and find out for themselves or ask someone who was there.

The problem with having more information in the minutes than what RONR recommends is that from experience reading this forum for the last 6-7 years I can almost guarantee that within a year or so of adding the extra information in the minutes that someone is going to raise a ruckus because the minutes said someone said something that they will claim up and down they never said or that the minutes were inaccurate regarding whether or not an option was actually considered.

I'll offer, and I expect that Chris H will agree, that the reason he gave is not the only reason, but I'll offer, and I expect that Chris H might demur because it would be immodest to agree, that when Chris H gives one reason when there are more than one, that one he gives will be enough.

Also. As OP tamela points out, there can be good reasons for absentees (who might actually have had valid reasons for their absence) to want to know what happened, beyond what the minutes should properly report. Fine. But that's a different document, with a different purpose. That different purpose is probably mainly why Madison's notes on the American Constitutional Convention (1789?) are still read today (although probably mostly by constitutional scholars, law students, and aspiring masochists like me) -- it sure weren't for lessons in legible penmanship, for darn tootin'.

Archived