The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secret Min. of Meeting

Guest Dot

I attended our monthly meeting of the office, about 10 people which we are not governed by Roberts Rules, or they have never been used. The meeting 4 hours,serious discussion on finances and how to cut the budget,new person in timesheet area decided to take min. no notice of this was given. Next day the office manager printed the 2 pages out with names and comments on discussion, and distributed out to ones who did not attend as well as the ones who did. Is this legal??? What does one say to the director?

Legal? Ask a lawyer.

To me, it doesn't sound like you had the kind of meeting that Robert's Rules covers, but maybe you did. The info you have provided, and the way you have phrased things, leaves me in doubt. So I don't know if this is the right forum for you.

As for what to say to the Director? No clue. How did s/he get into this? Did s/he have anything to do with this "secret meeting"?

I attended our monthly meeting of the office, about 10 people which we are not governed by Roberts Rules, or they have never been used.

If this is the case, I rather doubt the Robert's Rules of Order forum will be of much use to you.

To me, it doesn't sound like you had the kind of meeting that Robert's Rules covers, but maybe you did. The info you have provided, and the way you have phrased things, leaves me in doubt.

I agree. This does not sound like a deliberative assembly.

Is this legal??? What does one say to the director?

It's not entirely clear to me what the situation is, but from the facts provided, nothing that happened violates any rule in RONR, although I suspect that the document produced is not "minutes" in the parliamentary sense of the term. If you have questions about whether what happened was legal, you need to consult a lawyer.

Archived