The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Strike motion from minutes

Guest valerie guest

Guest valerie guest

A motion was made, seconded and approved and later realized it (the motion) was not correct procedure so moderator has asked that we remove the entire motion from the minutes. The minutes are currently being typed and have not been approved.

A motion was made, seconded and approved and later realized it (the motion) was not correct procedure so moderator has asked that we remove the entire motion from the minutes. The minutes are currently being typed and have not been approved.

The minutes are a record of what was done at the meeting. Whether or not the motion was correct procedurally it was adopted and should remain in the minutes no matter what is done to fix the issue. Depending on the nature of the incorrectness some options to rectify the situation is to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted (RONR pp. 293-299) to change it more to everyone's liking or to raise a Point of Order (RONR pp. 240-247) if the incorrectness is a continuing breach per RONR p. 244

The minutes are a record of what was done at the meeting. Whether or not the motion was correct procedurally it was adopted and should remain in the minutes no matter what is done to fix the issue. Depending on the nature of the incorrectness some options to rectify the situation is to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted (RONR pp. 293-299) to change it more to everyone's liking or to raise a Point of Order (RONR pp. 240-247) if the incorrectness is a continuing breach per RONR p. 244

I feel like clarifying this a little - the thing to be Rescinded or Amended is not the minutes, it's the motion which was adopted through improper procedure. Those should reflect what was done (and should not reflect that improper procedure was used, unless points of order were raised about it), and should not be amended to falsify records. If the assembly is very unhappy with the decision, they can order to Rescind and Expunge from the Minutes, but that requires a majority of the membership, not just a majority of those present and voting.

The motion must remain in the minutes as it actually occurred. If the procedure was in error, and depending on exactly how it was procedurally incorrect, there are other ways to correct the situation, but lying about what actually happened is not one of them.

If the assembly is very unhappy with the decision, they can order to Rescind and Expunge from the Minutes, but that requires a majority of the membership, not just a majority of those present and voting.

Since I suspect the poster is not familiar with this motion, I feel I should clarify that this motion still does not remove the motion from the minutes.

...unless those minutes are (subsequently) published, if I'm understanding this correctly.

I think what Josh was getting at was that the minutes would still include the motion, perhaps with a single line strike through it and a notation that it had been Rescinded and Expunged, rather then be erased or crossed out so as to be completely illegible. The motion would not be included in published minutes, but would be retained in the actual minutes record.

I think what Josh was getting at was that the minutes would still include the motion, perhaps with a single line strike through it and a notation that it had been Rescinded and Expunged, rather then be erased or crossed out so as to be completely illegible. The motion would not be included in published minutes, but would be retained in the actual minutes record.

I thought that's what I said! ;)

Archived