The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Attendance at Meeting

Guest curiouspaj

In NSAD Bylaws, we have this for who can attend meetings.

Section 4 SOFTBALL COUNCIL

4.1 The NSAD Softball Council shall be represented by the Executive Board and three (3) members from each region.

4.1.1 Three (3) regional members consist of Regional Officer, 1 men player/coach and 1 women player/coach.

Currently, the commissioner interprets this that 1 men player/coach must be MALE and 1 women player/coach must be FEMALE. However, I interpret this as 1 men player/coach - can be a male player or male/female coach and 1 women player/coach - can be a female player or male/female coach. Because sometimes some teams have coaches that are opposite gender but listed as "Coach".

Please interpret for me as which is the right way.

4.1 The NSAD Softball Council shall be represented by the Executive Board and three (3) members from each region.

4.1.1 Three (3) regional members consist of Regional Officer, 1 men player/coach and 1 women player/coach.

Currently, the commissioner interprets this that 1 men player/coach must be MALE and 1 women player/coach must be FEMALE. However, I interpret this as 1 men player/coach - can be a male player or male/female coach and 1 women player/coach - can be a female player or male/female coach. Because sometimes some teams have coaches that are opposite gender but listed as "Coach".

Bylaw interpretation is beyond this forum's purview. See RONR pp. 570-573 for some principles of interpretation to help you all with that.

Bylaw interpretation is beyond this forum's purview. See RONR pp. 570-573 for some principles of interpretation to help you all with that.

Particularly #6 on page 572. It seems that the commissioner might be adding his own requirements that are not stated in the bylaws.

If i were a member, I would likely agree with you, but as I am not, my opinion is not worth the electrons it is transmitted on.

But it is worth noting that it is the members, and not the chair, who ultimately decide this. If the chair were to rule, for example, that a female "mens" coach could not participate in a meeting, any member could Appeal that ruling and the majority could overrule the chair.

Archived