The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting for a member to be taken off Probation

Guest Tom

Recently in my non for profit, we voted to take a member off of his 1 year probation. When the vote came up he lost 15 to 11, he past all requirements of his probation. The only reason he lost was certain people didn't like him. To me this just seems wrong and I'm looking for where to look to get this resolved.

Recently in my non for profit, we voted to take a member off of his 1 year probation. When the vote came up he lost 15 to 11, he past all requirements of his probation. The only reason he lost was certain people didn't like him. To me this just seems wrong and I'm looking for where to look to get this resolved.

RONR doesn't address putting a member on probation. So it will be up to you all to work out the details. Some things you might want to look at is the language that originally put the member on probation. Was the punishment exactly one year of probation and then he is automatically off of probation? Or is this member basically in the "penalty box" until you all decide to let him out?

RONR doesn't address putting a member on probation. So it will be up to you all to work out the details. Some things you might want to look at is the language that originally put the member on probation. Was the punishment exactly one year of probation and then he is automatically off of probation? Or is this member basically in the "penalty box" until you all decide to let him out?

You join our fire company and automatically go on a 1 year probation, in which time you have to meet certain requirements. This person met every requirement we require in our bylaws and didn't get in any trouble, the only reason he wasn't voted in was people not liking his personality. This just doesn't seem right to me.

You join our fire company and automatically go on a 1 year probation, in which time you have to meet certain requirements. This person met every requirement we require in our bylaws and didn't get in any trouble, the only reason he wasn't voted in was people not liking his personality. This just doesn't seem right to me.

So far as I can tell, no rule in RONR was violated. I think how to proceed from this point has more to do with your assembly's customized rules than in the rules in RONR.

Archived