The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions

Guest sweet

If a Motion was made and seconded. Then a Motion was made to table that motion until the next board meeting and that was seconded. Which motion is first to vote? I'm assuming the second motion, but at a recent board meeting the motion to table, even though seconded, was dismissed and the Chair said "well the motion on the table is ....(the first motion). Everyone voted but felt confused and later realized that they weren't voting to table but voted to approve the 1st Motion. Was this wrong procedure? And if so, what can be done to rescind or vacate?

If a Motion was made and seconded. Then a Motion was made to table that motion until the next board meeting and that was seconded. Which motion is first to vote? I'm assuming the second motion, but at a recent board meeting the motion to table, even though seconded, was dismissed and the Chair said "well the motion on the table is ....(the first motion). Everyone voted but felt confused and later realized that they weren't voting to table but voted to approve the 1st Motion. Was this wrong procedure? And if so, what can be done to rescind or vacate?

First off, the use of the word 'table' as a verb is discouraged. It sounds like what you meant to do was to Postpone Definitely since you had a specific time at which you wanted it to come up again. This can be confused with the motion to Lay on the Table, which lets the assembly set something aside in an urgent situation (for instance, someone arrived to give a speech) with the intent that it get picked up again (by a motion to Take from the Table) immediately after the urgent situation is dealt with. In some assemblies, it can also mean to Postpone Indefinitely, which kills the motion. Here you were bitten by the confusion because the term was additionally overloaded to mean the pending question.

With that said, the handling of the motions was quite improper. As you correctly surmised, it would make no sense to vote on the main motion when a motion to postpone it had been made. The motion to postpone it should have been voted on first. This matter was one that had to be raised at the first available opportunity, though, so the motion was validly adopted. A motion can be made to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted at the next meeting - if you provide notice of the motion, it will require only a simple majority; otherwise it will require either a two-thirds majority or a majority of the membership.

I strongly recommend reading over Chapters II and III of RONR, which cover how motions should be properly handled.

A motion can be made to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted at the next meeting - if you provide notice of the motion, it will require only a simple majority vote; otherwise it will require either a two-thirds majority vote or a majority of the entire membership.

Suggested amendments shown above.

The terms "simple majority" and "2/3 majority" are not defined in RONR and are deprecated as ambiguous and contradictory.

Suggested amendments shown above.

The terms "simple majority" and "2/3 majority" are not defined in RONR and are deprecated as ambiguous and contradictory.

I will not qualify the word 'majority'.

:)

Archived