The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes approval

Lorraine

June 30th we had a seven member board meeting. Our bylaws state that 4 is a quorum. After the meeting 4 members resigned and have since been replaced. I have a meeting tonight, and the minutes from June 30th are in our packet to be approved. Only 3 members on our present board were at that June 30th meeting. Can 3 members (not a quorum) approve the minutes? Are the minutes tabled? Thank you for any assistance.

Can 3 members (not a quorum) approve the minutes? Are the minutes tabled? Thank you for any assistance.

Your quorum is based on the current make-up of the board. If at least four members attend (old or new), you have a quorum.

The minutes are approved by the current members, not just those remaining who were at the meeting for which the minutes are up for approval.

Note also that approval of the minutes by motion, while not actually out of order (yet), is not the recommended procedure. The secretary reads the minutes, the chair asks for any corrections, and then announces the minutes approved (as corrected). All present members may offer corrections, even if they weren't at the previous meeting. Corrections are handled by general consent, unless there is some dispute about them in which case a majority vote will decide.

This is offered in case you're missing pages 343-344 (or possibly the whole book). :)

Your quorum is based on the current make-up of the board. If at least four members attend (old or new), you have a quorum.

The minutes are approved by the current members, not just those remaining who were at the meeting for which the minutes are up for approval.

Note also that approval of the minutes by motion, while not actually out of order (yet), is not the recommended procedure. The secretary reads the minutes, the chair asks for any corrections, and then announces the minutes approved (as corrected). All present members may offer corrections, even if they weren't at the previous meeting. Corrections are handled by general consent, unless there is some dispute about them in which case a majority vote will decide.

This is offered in case you're missing pages 343-344 (or possibly the whole book). :)

Yes, I am missing the whole book. lol But I do have intentions of obtaining one. Thank you for answering my question.

• 1 month later...

See Mr Foulkes' post, #3, from August. Patiently endure the pontificating from the pundits and panjandrums. In the meantime, no one will commit mayhem if you vote on accepting the minutes; but you shouldn't. It's idiotic: if the motion is lost, then ...

-- Pfui. You don't vote on approving the minutes because you approve the minutes. If the draft is bad, fix it. It's like the president arrives at starting time, looks out at the assembly, and asks, do I hear a motion to begin the meeting?

...It's like the president arrives at starting time, looks out at the assembly, and asks, do I hear a motion to begin the meeting?

I belonged to a group whose president did exactly that to open every meeting. Ugghhh... but, it's pretty small potatoes, in terms of fair procedure, since someone always obliged and made the requested impossible motion.

Minutes approval procedure in 11th edition?

I promise to buy the new edition, but in the meantime need to know whether voting on approving / correcting the minutes is still allowed? (This thread predicted it would not be.)

In the 11th edition, it is still permissible to vote on a correction to the minutes (although this should be rare), but it is clarified that it is not appropriate to vote on the final approval of the minutes.

Yes, I am missing the whole book. lol But I do have intentions of obtaining one. Thank you for answering my question.

When you get the book (insist on the 11th edition) you will find the matter has moved to pages 354-355. Pay special attention to page 355, lines 8-11, which confirms that members who were absent from that meeting are not prevented from participating in the correction and approval process.

Archived