The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No vote on motion - required for valid motion?

Captain Bob

A member of my Honor Guard group insists on voting 'no' on every motion, even though he may be in favor of a motion. He insists that Robert's Rules mandates a 'no' vote for a motion to be valid. As ridiculous as this sounds, I can not find anything in Robert's Rules to prove him wrong. What can I show him to eliminate this annoyance?

I can not find anything in Robert's Rules to prove him wrong. What can I show him to eliminate this annoyance?

Forget that. Ask him to prove he's right.

Until then, he can vote any way he chooses, but it would be more appropriate (in my opinion) for him to vote how he feels about the motion. "Although it is the duty of every member who has an opinion on a question to express it by his vote...." (RONR 10th Ed., p. 394 l. 6-8) The way I read this, the member should vote according to his opinion on the question.

A member of my Honor Guard group insists on voting 'no' on every motion, even though he may be in favor of a motion. He insists that Robert's Rules mandates a 'no' vote for a motion to be valid. As ridiculous as this sounds, I can not find anything in Robert's Rules to prove him wrong. What can I show him to eliminate this annoyance?

How about any one of the numerous references to unanimous votes? If a vote is unanimous in the affirmative, clearly there are no "no" votes.

How about any one of the numerous references to unanimous votes? If a vote is unanimous in the affirmative, clearly there are no "no" votes.

Most of the references in RONR to unanimous votes say what *can't* be adopted by a unanimous vote. Perhaps this person thinks that such actions could be taken if at least one member votes no. :)

Most of the references in RONR to unanimous votes say what *can't* be adopted by a unanimous vote. Perhaps this person thinks that such actions could be taken if at least one member votes no. :)

I suspect the members may be confused by the requirment that the chair generally must take the negative vote, no matter how overwhelming the affirmative vote appears to be. But that certainly does not mean that any member has to vote "no." Of all the absurd misconceptions I have seen, this one comes close to the top of the list!

Page 4, line 5 through 13 of RONR (10th ed.).

Archived