The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President overturing a vote

Guest Roger Bevington

Guest Roger Bevington

I would like some clarification if you can help me. I am on a committe that ruses Roberts Rules. We voted on a measure that passed by a wide margin. The president overturned the vote, because she said the secretary neglected to put in the meeting minutes the year that the new system would be in place. I looked through my book and the website and saw nothing that either gave the president of an assembly to overturn a vote nor anything saying that it was not valid because the secretary forgot to put it in. Can I get some guidence on this please?

... The president overturned the vote, because she said the secretary neglected to put in the meeting minutes the year that the new system would be in place. I looked through my book and the website and saw nothing that either gave the president of an assembly to overturn a vote nor anything saying that it was not valid because the secretary forgot to put it in. ...

That's because there is nothing in the book that gives the president such authority. Sounds like it might be time for a new president.

I think you said it all and don't really need any guidance from us besides that you should ask the President to give you a citation to support her position (and don't just accept "Robert's Rules (or the bylaws or whatever) says so" have her point out the EXACT citation). If she can't produce some evidence to support her position then disregard her "overturning" and proceed as usual.

I would like some clarification if you can help me. I am on a committe that ruses Roberts Rules. We voted on a measure that passed by a wide margin. The president overturned the vote, because she said the secretary neglected to put in the meeting minutes the year that the new system would be in place. I looked through my book and the website and saw nothing that either gave the president of an assembly to overturn a vote nor anything saying that it was not valid because the secretary forgot to put it in. Can I get some guidence on this please?

The president doesn't have that power. Forgetting to include information in the minutes does not invalidate an adopted motion. Committees do not ordinarily keep minutes.

Archived