The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board member turnover

Guest John Bartel

We're just establishing a new board. We have term limits. But should we stagger some of the members' terms so they don't all expire at the same time? I welcome your thoughts on the best way to deal with that. Thanks.

There's no single answer that works for every organization. For some, one-year terms work well, with all positions elected annually. Others use staggered terms. I would advise not to make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

We're just establishing a new board. We have term limits. But should we stagger some of the members' terms so they don't all expire at the same time? I welcome your thoughts on the best way to deal with that. Thanks.

One system I like is, with the commmon odd numer of board members, to have two year terms, with an odd number expiring in odd years and an even number in even years. Start this off by having some serve initial 1 year terms and the rest 2 year terms - with all 2 year terms thereafter. So, let's say a 7 person board with the elections held Oct 1 and terms beginning then. Four of the initial board members have 1 year terms and 3 have 2 year terms. Then, in 2012, there are 4 positions up for 2 year term and 3 up in 2013.

When vacancies happen and are filled (according to what you decide), keep the original cycle, and have that person serve the entire term. Try not to make it more complicated than needed.

One system I like is, with the commmon odd numer of board members, to have two year terms, with an odd number expiring in odd years and an even number in even years. Start this off by having some serve initial 1 year terms and the rest 2 year terms - with all 2 year terms thereafter. So, let's say a 7 person board with the elections held Oct 1 and terms beginning then. Four of the initial board members have 1 year terms and 3 have 2 year terms. Then, in 2012, there are 4 positions up for 2 year term and 3 up in 2013.

When vacancies happen and are filled (according to what you decide), keep the original cycle, and have that person serve the entire term. Try not to make it more complicated than needed.

I'd say you've already crossed that threshold. ;)

Archived