The Official RONR Q & A Forums

sergeant-at-arms

chinafleet

At a recent general meeting of our club the President announced a particular board member would be the sergeant at arms. There had been do discussion of this previously- either with the membership or the entire Board. We have never had one before.

My questions are; why would we need a sergeant at arms and is the president entitled to appoint in this manner.

And- what would a sergeant at arms do in an assembly of about 30 members present.

Thank you,

Ruth

At a recent general meeting of our club the President announced a particular board member would be the sergeant at arms. There had been do discussion of this previously- either with the membership or the entire Board. We have never had one before.

My questions are; why would we need a sergeant at arms and is the president entitled to appoint in this manner.

You probably don't need one, and the president is not entitled to appoint one, unless the bylaws say so, and if the bylaws list officers but do not include the position of sergeant-at-arms, you cannot have one. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 571, l. 32-35.

And- what would a sergeant at arms do in an assembly of about 30 members present.

A sergeant-at-arms assists in preserving order as the chair may direct, and may have other duties related to the meeting hall.

Probably not much. Such a position is likely unnecessary in such a small assembly. It is more common for large conventions (hundreds of members).

You probably don't need one, and the president is not entitled to appoint one, unless the bylaws say so, and if the bylaws list officers but do not include the position of sergeant-at-arms, you cannot have one. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 571, l. 32-35.

Well, I believe the assembly could still appoint someone to serve as a Sergeant-at-Arms, but it would not be an officer position. As noted, however, the assembly likely has no need for the position.

Archived