The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discussion PRIOR to motion

DaisyMae

If I understand RONR correctly - and be patient because this is new for me, why must there be a motion made prior to debate/discussion among members. I work with a Planning Commission and sometimes the motions can be quite complex and it might make for a more concise better motion to discuss the item prior to the motion. Any thoughts?

If I understand RONR correctly - and be patient because this is new for me, why must there be a motion made prior to debate/discussion among members. I work with a Planning Commission and sometimes the motions can be quite complex and it might make for a more concise better motion to discuss the item prior to the motion. Any thoughts?

If the Planning Commission has less than about a dozen members, informal discussion can be allowed without a main motion being pending. These kinds of small bodies are not fully in the nature of a deliberative assembly, to which parliamentary procedure principally applies. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 1, ll. 15-17. Also, p. 470, ll. 31-32.

If your "Planning Commission" is relatively small -- no more than 12 members or so -- then there is probably no problem with "discussion before motion" -- see p. 470 ff.

But... the overall problem is that without a motion (or at least the idea for a motion) available to the members the discussion can wander all over the place and make for a looooong meeting.

Also there is a danger that "something" will get adopted but folks end up not being quite sure what was adopted. "I so move" is a snare and a delusion.

The secretary can, and should, insist that the exact text of complex, or simple, motions be set out, perhaps in writing, before the (final) vote on the issue.

Archived