The Official RONR Q & A Forums

suspending the by laws

Guest CW

Church Matter.

By Laws state: Special Congregational Meetings: Special congregational business meetings may be called as needed by the Senior Pastor, or such special meetings may be called by the request of a majority of the Church Board members. The notice of such meetings, including the purpose thereof, shall be stated from the pulpit,posted on the Church bulletin board and published in a Church paper a minimum of two (2) weeks prior thereto.

1) we were notified in our church bulletin mentioning only that a special called Congregational meeting will be held but no purpose, other than to say the actions to be taken will effect the church and the community. The only mention from the pulpit was to be sure to read all the announcements in the bulletin.

2) can an action of suspending the rules be made at the start of the special meeting to allow for such called meeting without all the details of what the by laws require?

3) what motion or action can I take to state up front that such meeting does not meet the requirements set forth in the by laws and that any action taken will be non binding and without cause?

This pastor has in the past stretched the by-laws to fit her needs. She has the support of 85-90% of the membership, why she wants to completed ignore the by laws is beyond me.

I have reason to believe she wants the congregation to vote to enlarge our fellowship hall, which I do not object too, just the way the matter is being handled. Once before, the idea to enlarge the fellowship hall was floated and so much opposition was made, it was canned. I am hearing talk that someone might have come forth willing to pay a portion up front, but not sure.

Anyone that can shed light on this, please respond as quick as possible.

thanks

CW

Church Matter.

1) we were notified in our church bulletin mentioning only that a special called Congregational meeting will be held but no purpose, other than to say the actions to be taken will effect the church and the community. The only mention from the pulpit was to be sure to read all the announcements in the bulletin.

For me, giving notice in writing and orally wou;ld be enough.

2) can an action of suspending the rules be made at the start of the special meeting to allow for such called meeting without all the details of what the by laws require?

No, based on the bylaws you have posted. Notice provides right to absentees.

3) what motion or action can I take to state up front that such meeting does not meet the requirements set forth in the by laws and that any action taken will be non binding and without cause?

Raise a point of order and if necessary appeal the decision from the floor.

"With the exception of motions that relate to procedure without direct reference to a particular substantive item of business,* only business mentioned in the call of a special meeting can be transacted at such a meeting. If, at a special meeting, it becomes urgent in an emergency to take action for which no notice was given, that action, to become legal, must be ratified (see pp. 118-20) by the organization at a regular meeting (or, if ratification also cannot wait, at another special meeting properly called for that purpose)." [page 90]

It could be that the meeting is informational and that no action will be taken. That would not violate any rule in RONR.

First, maybe you should review your bylaws to be sure they don't say something different about special meetings that those epxressed in this rule.

I suggest that you might privately alert the moderator of the meeting (pastor?) to this rule and ask that they provide the needed notice if business will be transacted at the special meeting.

-Bob

No. The rules in question protect absentees and may not be suspended. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 255, lines 13-15) Any action taken at the meeting will be null and void. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 244, lines 21-26)

A Point of Order, followed by an Appeal if necessary. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 240-252 for more information on the procedures for these motions.

Archived