The Official RONR Q & A Forums

meeting minutes

Guest Lisa

I am working with a student who has a problem I cannot address, if anyone has any advice and can point me to the appropriate Rules of Order material, I would appreciate it. A minute book containing a year's full of meeting minutes has been lost (from 7 years ago). She has the audio recordings from the minutes. Can she recreate the minutes with this, and can the minutes be approved?

Thanks so much.

I am working with a student who has a problem I cannot address, if anyone has any advice and can point me to the appropriate Rules of Order material, I would appreciate it. A minute book containing a year's full of meeting minutes has been lost (from 7 years ago). She has the audio recordings from the minutes. Can she recreate the minutes with this, and can the minutes be approved?

Thanks so much.

Yes she can do that. However, it is pretty likely that most members are not going to remember the details of what happened 7 years ago. Since only she would have access to the recordings of those meetings if only she recreates the minutes there is a chance that the other members may take issue with having to take her word that the minutes accurately represent what the recordings said. I would recommend that the assembly appoint a committee who with recording in hand can recreate the minutes. That way more than one person has heard what the recordings said and the assembly is more likely to have confidence in the accuracy of the minutes. Also, since the minutes should only reflect what was done at the meeting (not just making a word-for-word transcript of the recording) they should refer to RONR pp. 451-454 for the proper format.

Archived