The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Meeting Quorum

DrPVSuglia

I have called together a special meeting of my BOD to discuss the unprofessional conduct of one of our board members.

OK. I assume the bylaws specifically provide for the calling of a Special Meeting and that all of the requirements spelled out in the bylaws have been followed.

Does the member in question need to be present at the meeting if his presence means a quorum will be met?

Unless the bylaws say otherwise all Board members whether or not they are facing disciplinary actions have a right to attend the meeting.

"Unless the bylaws say otherwise all Board members whether or not they are facing disciplinary actions have a right to attend the meeting. "

... up to the point described in Chapter 20 when an accused is notified of the charges -- p. 637.

But you have to do all the preliminary steps.

My personal preliminary step was to simply tell him his services were not needed. I had been advised that it takes the Board to decide this and that acting unilaterally on my part was not the right thing to do. In that light, he had not been OFFICIALLY removed from the Board. But because of the terroristic threats made against me and another board member by this person, for which the police needed to be called, we feel that it would be a moot point to tell him of this special meeting. We have six members with voting rights, three of which are actual Board members (me and the accused included). This makes for a confusing situation for sure.

"Unless the bylaws say otherwise all Board members whether or not they are facing disciplinary actions have a right to attend the meeting. "

... up to the point described in Chapter 20 when an accused is notified of the charges -- p. 637.

If the bylaws prescribe procedures for discipline why would the rule on p. 637 apply?

In our bylaws it states, "A board member may be removed for other reasons by a three-fourths vote of the remaining directors." It does not state specific examples, nor does it say that a special meeting must be called to do so. Therefore, can this be done simply by a written "vote" without a meeting?

Does the member in question need to be present at the meeting if his presence means a quorum will be met?

A quorum must be present, and if you need him to make the quorum, I suppose he will have to be present. Even if he doesn't make or break a quorum, he still has a right to be present (although it is up to him whether he chooses to exercise that right).

In that light, he had not been OFFICIALLY removed from the Board. But because of the terroristic threats made against me and another board member by this person, for which the police needed to be called, we feel that it would be a moot point to tell him of this special meeting.

He is still a board member and retains the right to be informed of and attend meetings until he is actually removed, however, based on the facts provided, it seems it would be advisable to have police or security at the meeting. He can be ordered to be removed from the meeting hall after he is removed from the board.

Therefore, can this be done simply by a written "vote" without a meeting?

No, unless your Bylaws provide for such methods of voting.

Archived