The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper Time to Bring up Improper Notice of Meeting

Guest Roland

When is the proper time to bring up at an meeting that that meeting should be null and void because of improper notice of meeting?

Before the president calls the meeting to order? After? Before the reading of the previous meeting? Before Old Business,,,,,ect?

Thanks

Roland

When is the proper time to bring up at an meeting that that meeting should be null and void because of improper notice of meeting?

Before the president calls the meeting to order? After? Before the reading of the previous meeting? Before Old Business,,,,,ect?

I would bring it up as soon as possible. Try discussing it with the President prior to the meeting first (and if you have days or weeks before the meeting, give him a call - don't wait till the last minute). If the President is unwilling to listen and it looks like you'll need to use a Point of Order and Appeal, the earliest you could raise it would be immediately after the meeting is called to order, and that's when I would recommend raising it. Waiting longer just means wasting more of the assembly's time and, most likely, making the Appeal much more difficult.

Thanks

Roland

I'm generally of the opinion that the proceedings of an improper meeting are not governed by parliamentary law.

However, there's probably no harm in gathered persons collectively deciding that they are not in a legal meeting, are not an assembly, and therefore have no authority to decide what they just decided. ;)

Archived