The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board vacancies

Guest Frank  Wilson

Question

We will have three vacancies this fall on our board...however we cannot find

but 1 replacement....what do we do??/...not allow people to go off the board....

work short handed....keep recruiting..........

Keep recruiting and read your bylaws for the term of office. If the term says something like "or until a successor is elected" people stay on the board until they are replaced. Warn the members that if can't be found, the organization may have to go out of existence -- nothing lasts forever (except the shakes of an earthquake).

Keep recruiting and read your bylaws for the term of office. If the term says something like "or until a successor is elected" people stay on the board until they are replaced. Warn the members that if can't be found, the organization may have to go out of existence -- nothing lasts forever (except the shakes of an earthquake).

Thanks..this eems to be what our by-laws say......but how do you decide who must stay if three go and only

one or two are replaced?????

Thanks..this eems to be what our by-laws say......but how do you decide who must stay if three go and only

one or two are replaced?????

It sounds like you are talking about elections for positions of Trustees, or Directors, or something like that, and not of named officers (president, treasurer, etc). Is that correct? Is it that these three positions are of equal rank and were all elected at the same meeting last time?

It sounds like you are talking about elections for positions of Trustees, or Directors, or something like that, and not of named officers (president, treasurer, etc). Is that correct? Is it that these three positions are of equal rank and were all elected at the same meeting last time?

You are correct....I am talking about board members (of a condo ass.) not officers per se

so we are talking about 3 elected for two year terms, at the same time...ending in October.....only

one is an officer...secretary...which can be a dual title for any remaining or

additional director

Question

We will have three vacancies this fall on our board...however we cannot find

but 1 replacement....what do we do??/...not allow people to go off the board....

work short handed....keep recruiting..........

It sounds to me like terms are ending. Are they?

I'm not hearing anything about an election, though. How are you finding a replecement without an election? You should follow the election process. Have nominations. Do some voting.

It sounds to me like terms are ending. Are they?

I'm not hearing anything about an election, though. How are you finding a replecement without an election? You should follow the election process. Have nominations. Do some voting.

Yes the terms are ending...elections are in October...but we have no volunteers

willing to be on ballot....there probably will be one or two nominations from the

floor..........including one who probably would not receive majority vote (of those present,

and represented by proxy)

We plan to continue "recruiting"...but it looks like we can go forward with a

smaller board..........subject to quorum rules of 3 of the authorized 5........

My open question is.......how can we decide which odf the "deaprting" "has" to extend their term....

if we decide to go this way........as the By-laws suggest.......and knowing

full well we cannot "force" anyone to serve, if they do not want to.........

and all of the three leaving.....at this point in time, say they do not want to stay...

even to help out for a limited time........

Yet the group does not seem dysfunstional...just "used up"....

????

willing to be on ballot....there probably will be one or two nominations from the

floor..........including one who probably would not receive majority vote (of those present,

It is not improper for the assembly to elect someone without their consent (and without their refusal). If you do so, then they have the opportunity to refuse when they first find out. This may be effective as in some organizations I've worked with, few people actively want certain positions but many will put in the effort if nominated.

If you have a fixed quorum, they will indeed need that many people to participate. If you someone refuses the position in between meetings, then at the next meeting the election needs to be completed. At a meeting, you can postpone the question to finish the election but not avoid it entirely.
My open question is.......how can we decide which odf the "deaprting" "has" to extend their term....

and all of the three leaving.....at this point in time, say they do not want to stay...

If your bylaws say that the board has term "for a year or until their successors are elected", then they cease to hold office when the term expires regardless of the availability of a replacement. If they have term "for a year and until their successors are elected", then they do not, and their successors must be elected before their term ends. If this is the case and they wish to resign, the assembly could choose to accept that resignation. Otherwise, the assembly would have to be explicit about whose successor(s) it was electing.

????

If this happens, it may be appropriate to reduce operations. If the group can't maintain its present activity level, then you will have to put effort in to either find other members (and saying "the group cannot function without these volunteers" may help, as dreary as it sounds), or try to reduce the scope or dissolve entirely. The last thing that should happen is that the organization just falls apart due to neglect without ever properly dissolving.

So, I gather that you hold elections for these position all on the same ballot, rather than having single-position elections for each. If you did the latter, then it would seem likely you'd be able to perceive the positions as "Director #1", "Director #2" and "Director #3" from the order of holding elections. Thus, if Members A, B and C held the positions respectively, when holding elections for Director 1, if no candidate received a majority of votes (or has no agreeable candidate put up for nomination), then Member A stays on in the position. (Repeat as needed for #'s 2 & 3).

But if you elect all three positions simultaneously, and award them to the top three vote-getters (who receive at least a majority of votes, of course), then I'm not sure how you would tell them apart if only one or two candidates present themselves this time around to determine who stays on and who goes.

????

Your question seems to hinge on the predetermined fact that the assembly will fail to elect enough board members. The assembly should continue balloting until the positions are filled. A rule that an officer continues to serve until a successor is chosen is not a free pass for an election to be left incomplete.

The assembly will decide who stays in office; that's what the election is for.

[

If your bylaws say that the board has term "for a year or until their successors are elected", then they cease to hold office when the term expires regardless of the availability of a replacement. If they have term "for a year and until their successors are elected", then they do not, and their successors must be elected before their term ends.

I don't believe this is a correct interpretation. This would only make sense if the statement were actually "for a year or until their successors are elected, whichever comes first. RONR, p557, l.1-4 make it clear that officers stay in office until their successors are elected both with the "and until..." phrase and the "or until..." phrase.

• 3 years later...

Archived