The Official RONR Q & A Forums

change of vote

Guest S_eAGLE

When a written vote is taken, and the vote is anonymous, can a person change their vote before the vote is counted?

I would suggest that the chair acknowledge that the member is changing his vote; that the votes then be tabulated as originally collected, and, if the altered vote could not affect the outcome, the result stands. If it could affect the outcome reballoting should be done. For purposes of moving to Reconsider, the member should be considered to have voted on the side to which he chose to change his vote, which will be based on the honor system, as is almost always the case when Reconsidering a ballot vote.

Note that if he is mistakenly prevented from changing his vote and it would have affected the outcome, he should normally be able to change the outcome through Reconsideration, if the vote is subject to Reconsideration.

Nothing (that I've read) in RONR prohibits it, though I don't know how you'd verify the person's original vote.

I suggest you go read the thread that Mr. Honemann's reply points to. Although he and I point to the same texts in RONR, he and I reach different conclusions. I employ contextual criticism to reach my conclusion, and he does not do so to reach his. It's an interesting example of differing interpretive methodologies that I think you will find interesting.

I suggest you go read the thread that Mr. Honemann's reply points to. Although he and I point to the same texts in RONR, he and I reach different conclusions. I employ contextual criticism to reach my conclusion, and he does not do so to reach his. It's an interesting example of differing interpretive methodologies that I think you will find interesting.

It is an interesting read to be sure.

Archived