The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Committee outside bylaws

Guest JG

The organization I belong to created a standing committee to handle certain matters. Amending our bylaws seemed unwise at the time, and so the committee was formed by ordinary resolution, adopted by majority vote.

I now realize that a case could be made that the conditions requiring a 2/3 vote with notice applied [p 473, line 30] (and continue to apply).

My question is not how to determine which vote would have been proper, rather it's whether or not it's too late to raise a point of order concerning the committee's authority and existence assuming the fact that it did require the 2/3 & notice.

If it matters, of the 3 conditions listed, the assumption would be that both of the first two apply (standing authority & all business of a certain class).

Thank you, I hope the question is clear.

The organization I belong to created a standing committee to handle certain matters. Amending our bylaws seemed unwise at the time, and so the committee was formed by ordinary resolution, adopted by majority vote.

I now realize that a case could be made that the conditions requiring a 2/3 vote with notice applied [p 473, line 30] (and continue to apply).

My question is not how to determine which vote would have been proper, rather it's whether or not it's too late to raise a point of order concerning the committee's authority and existence assuming the fact that it did require the 2/3 & notice.

If it matters, of the 3 conditions listed, the assumption would be that both of the first two apply (standing authority & all business of a certain class).

Thank you, I hope the question is clear.

When action has been taken in violation of a notice requirement, a point of order can be made at any time.

When action has been taken in violation of a notice requirement, a point of order can be made at any time.

I see that p. 473 mentions only 2/3 with notice but since it would be in effect a Special Rule of Order why did RONR leave out the other option for adopting a SRO by a majority of the entire membership?

I see that p. 473 mentions only 2/3 with notice but since it would be in effect a Special Rule of Order why did RONR leave out the other option for adopting a SRO by a majority of the entire membership?

Probably because it notes that it is in effect special rule and that those may be adopted by a majority of the entire membership (p. 17).

Archived