The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Forum Upgrade - September 2011

Boss Lady

We are preparing to upgrade the forum to a newer version. The date of the upgrade has not been finalized yet, but we expect it to happen in the next few days.

We expect the upgrade to:

• Improve the registration process.
  • Improve the "look and feel" of the forum. It should be cleaner and more intuitive. I know a lot of people don't like the way the Reply feature currently works. There are some changes to the placement and wording of the buttons that I think will improve that.
  • Improve spam control.

I will pass on more information as I get it.

thanks,

Olivia

I believe the upgrade may be coming later today. The software company cannot seem to give a precise date and time for the upgrade. I gather they take care of these matters as they have available resources. We can expect some downtime for the forum while the upgrade is occuring. Hopefully the downtime will not excede about 30 minutes.

thanks,

Olivia

The upgrade has been complete. The only thing I see so far that looks a little weird is the profile pictures are resized and not looking so good. I am not quite sure yet what can be done about that short of re-uploading our pictures. Otherwise, everything appears to be in order. I'll check in to the forum from time to time to see if any of you - our loyal members - are experiencing any problems.

thanks,

Olivia

How do I adjust my settings so I don't see avatars?

There doesn't seem to be a setting for this in the forum itself, but all of the avatars are stored in the same folder, so if you have an adblocking program you can add the filter robertsrules.forumflash.com/uploads/profile/* and the avatars will all disappear, while other images remain unaffected. I tested this with the Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox and it worked fine.

NOTE: Add http:// to the start of the filter. I had to remove it or the forum kept turning it into a link.

Hmmm, I thought the private messaging feature was never enabled.

Well, to be most accurate, it wasn't the actual private messaging (live and in real time), but there was a button on the profile pages that allowed you to send a message directly to a member as an email. No big loss, but it was kind-a handy.

Also, there was a "notes" section in the profile where I used to store tidbits and quotes that made it easy to copy'n'paste into replies. If there is a similar storage area in the current profile settings, I've overlooked it, but that too was kind-a handy.

Also, at the bottom of threads there is no option to return to the primary board.........I see that I can go to the thread trail on the bottom (see below) but I think we could go back to the board directly before.

Reply to quoted posts Clear

1. RONR Forum
  2. RONR Discussion Board
  3. Questions or Comments about the Message Board

Also, at the bottom of threads there is no option to return to the primary board.........I see that I can go to the thread trail on the bottom (see below) but I think we could go back to the board directly before.

The thread trail is clickable, and will return you to the appropriate place.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to be most accurate, it wasn't the actual private messaging (live and in real time), but there was a button on the profile pages that allowed you to send a message directly to a member as an email. No big loss, but it was kind-a handy.

I also miss this feature (the ability to contact members easily off the board). I found it particulary nice, as a newcomer here back in the summer of '09, that some regular members of the board started sending me emails occasionally (after I had put up a sufficient number of annoying posts to display some persistence in learning about RONR, I think ;) ). The current setup makes it very hard to communicate with new people... after all, not that many people want to post their email addresses directly on the forum, for all to see.

Has the feature been deliberately removed because of concerns about spam?

I hope some version of direct communication between members here can be restored.

• 2 months later...

Archived