The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Rule Question

Guest Maryanne

Our club has adopted a Standing Rule that states-

*If any board member is more than 15 minutes late to a board meeting that person will not have a vote and will be recorded as technically absent.

We have a member that is saying that this S R is invalid. Can yo uadvise please?

Maryanne

A continuing breach is created when "any action is taken in violation of ... a rule protecting a basic right of an individual member." The right to vote is such a right so - absent unusual rights given in the bylaws - this rule is null and void and requires amending the bylaws to make it be in effect. See also page 255. (References to 10th ed., Sorry.)

A continuing breach is created when "any action is taken in violation of ... a rule protecting a basic right of an individual member." The right to vote is such a right so - absent unusual rights given in the bylaws - this rule is null and void and requires amending the bylaws to make it be in effect. See also page 255. (References to 10th ed., Sorry.)

I know your references are to the 10th. It's time to get with it! :)

It's on order, as well as RONRIB! Next I'll need a new CD and a new supplemental index. :)

-Bob

I anticipate a sticky note with mysterious notations like "244 = 2xx" "255 = 2yy" etc. stuck to the cover of the 11th (which hasn't arrived here yet either). I ordered from Barnes & Noble, whose website claimed they'd ship today, but I think their computer was blowing smoke :) .

So, Dan, was that your point about p. 244?

(N. B. The thing that bugs me about Captcha is that it often says my entry was incorrect, when it bloody well was correct.

(I'm not whining this at you, Dan, it's just the post that I thought to mention it here and now.

(Here: the code is easily rzQyJe. So I'm typing rzQyJe. Let's see what happens.)

I ordered from Barnes & Noble, whose website claimed they'd ship today, but I think their computer was blowing smoke :) .

I placed an order for the 11th with B&N Saturday and it was sent out yesterday but isn't scheduled to arrive until next Tuesday. :( Why it takes a week to go from Nevada to Virginia is beyond me. :huh:

Our club has adopted a Standing Rule that states-

*If any board member is more than 15 minutes late to a board meeting that person will not have a vote and will be recorded as technically absent.

We have a member that is saying that this S R is invalid. Can yo uadvise please?

Maryanne

I agree with the others that the adoption of this rule was invalid on account that it violates the basic right to vote of the individual, late-arriving member. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 251, ll. 20-26.

I placed an order for the 11th with B&N Saturday and it was sent out yesterday but isn't scheduled to arrive until next Tuesday. :( Why it takes a week to go from Nevada to Virginia is beyond me. :huh:

So, did it show up yet? My B&N order (supposed to arrive next Sunday :huh: ) actually showed up today. I was puzzled that it should take a whole week to wander from NJ to CT, but it didn't take that long after all. Now, to find time to actually read some of it...

Archived