The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendment a Motion

Guest Paulette

We had a motion come up for vote and it was a tie because one member was out.

We held another meeting with all members present. The motion was moved on and seconded then discussion ensued. Many ideas were put forth. The president called a vote even though discussion was not done. The motion did not pass. A member started to say she wished to amend the motion and the president interrupted and said I move to adjourn. Nobody seconded it or voted on it. The members. who wanted the motion to carry, including the superintendent got up and left. The members that voted no wanted to continue discussing to come up with a solution.

First off, was the member who wanted to amend the motion after the vote in the right...could she do that?

Second, was this meeting really adjourned?

If the motion failed, it failed. It is not then before the assembly for amendment/perfection/tweaking or even discussion. So I would say no, she cannot. However, the failed motion can be reintroduced at the next (or another) meeting if you like. If everyone left, the meeting's over. A point of order on the chair's motion would have had to be raised in a timely fashion. After everyone's gone, I would think, would be too late. JMHO.

We had a motion come up for vote and it was a tie because one member was out.

We held another meeting with all members present. The motion was moved on and seconded then discussion ensued. Many ideas were put forth. The president called a vote even though discussion was not done. The motion did not pass. A member started to say she wished to amend the motion and the president interrupted and said I move to adjourn. Nobody seconded it or voted on it. The members. who wanted the motion to carry, including the superintendent got up and left. The members that voted no wanted to continue discussing to come up with a solution.

First off, was the member who wanted to amend the motion after the vote in the right...could she do that?

Second, was this meeting really adjourned?

Almost none of the procedures used have anything to do with proper parliamentary procedure. All of you might want to get copies of the new edition of RONR and read them front to back.

Archived