The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chairman resignation

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have two questions: If the chairman of the board is resigning from the board completely is it proper for a new chairman to be elected prior to the old chairman's resignation and if so, can the old chairman vote for the new chairman? I would appreciate any responses.

I have two questions: If the chairman of the board is resigning from the board completely is it proper for a new chairman to be elected prior to the old chairman's resignation and if so, can the old chairman vote for the new chairman? I would appreciate any responses.

Until the chairman's resignation is properly accepted, there is no vacancy to which to elect a new chairman, so it seems a bit cart-before-the-horse-ish your way. (RONR 11th Ed., p. 291 ll. 1-25) When the appropriate election meeting comes, the "old" chairman, if still a member of the society, can vote for the "new" chairman.

However, per RONR, the expected sequence of events here would be that the chairman resigns, the vice-chairman automatically ascends to the chairmanship, and the vacancy occurs in the VC position. (RONR 11th Ed., p. 575 ll. 9-17) Your rules may say otherwise, so check them first.

Trickle trickle

Edited by David A Foulkes

1. No, but a chairman pro tem can be elected for any session that finds itself in need of a chair.

2. Anyone who is a member of the body doing the electing can vote.

Guest anonymous

Thank you for your reponse - that brings up another question - is it always the case that the Vice chairman then ascends to the Chairmanship? What controls this other than RROO? Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you for your reponse - that brings up another question - is it always the case that the Vice chairman then ascends to the Chairmanship? What controls this other than RROO? Thanks so much for your help!

Unless there is a provision in the bylaws that specifically says otherwise, the vice-president (vice-chair) automatically becomes the president (chairman) upon a vacancy in the office.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.