The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Question about ballots

Debra McCormack

If the Bylaws of an organization call for an election by ballots and the Parliamentarian says they do not have to be used and takes a vote from the floor are the election results legal?

The general membership does not know the rules about ballots, shouldn't the Parlimentarian?

Can just anyone say they are a Parlimentarian?

[1] If the Bylaws of an organization call for an election by ballots and the Parliamentarian says they do not have to be used and takes a vote from the floor are the election results legal?

[2] The general membership does not know the rules about ballots, shouldn't the Parlimentarian?

[3] Can just anyone say they are a Parlimentarian?

1. We don't do "legal" but RONR provides that if the bylaws require that an election be held by ballot, that rule cannot be suspended--not even by a unanimous vote. And certainly not by an ill-informed parliamentarian.

2. Yes.

3. Apparently.

1. We don't do "legal" but RONR provides that if the bylaws require that an election be held by ballot, that rule cannot be suspended--not even by a unanimous vote. And certainly not by an ill-informed parliamentarian.

I would tack on a note that an election taken in contradiction to such a requirement is entirely null and void and that, accordingly, the timeliness requirement for a Point of Order does not apply. The correct thing to do is to raise a Point of Order regarding the election at the next meeting. If possible, you should provide notice to the membership of this so that new elections can be held fairly.

I'd provide citations for you, but all the copies of the 11th edition I've been able to get my hands on have been defective; read the sections on elections (which explain that a requirement to hold an election by ballot is unsuspendable so as to preserve the right to object anonymously), Point of Order, and probably Appeal.

As for use of the title Parliamentarian, my understanding is that it is generally an unprotected term and thus anyone can use it. That said, I'm sure J.D. Stackpole can jump in with his text about the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians along with advice on how to contact them.

I'd provide citations for you, but all the copies of the 11th edition I've been able to get my hands on have been defective;

On the off chance that I received a copy that was initially meant for you (and if so, I am duly sorry), how can I tell if it's defective?

As for use of the title Parliamentarian, my understanding is that it is generally an unprotected term and thus anyone can use it. That said, I'm sure J.D. Stackpole can jump in with his text about the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians along with advice on how to contact them.

I'm not Dr. Stackpole, nor do I play him on TV. But I feel confident he would say to you...........

Contact either (or both) the

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929

Fax: 816-833-3893;

e-mail: hq@NAP2.org

www.parliamentarians.org

or

American Institute of Parliamentarians

550M Ritchie Highway #271

Severna Park, MD 21146

Phone: 888-664-0428

Fax: 410-544-4640

www.aipparl.org

for a reference or information

Can you be more specific about the page numbers affected?

Also, if you own any defective copies, please call Perseus at 800-343-4499 so they can replace them for you.

Once I get my hands on a good copy, I will tell you specifically which page numbers. The bookstore involved gladly returned them, and I've ordered from an online retailer for a similar price, so I'm not that upset.

Archived