The Official RONR Q & A Forums

%needed to amend or table

Guest Mark

The organization I am working with normally passes motions by a simple majority. For an upcoming business item we have set the % higher to 80%. If an amendment is made or a motion to talbe is made do both of these need to meet the 80% or a simple majoirty?

The organization I am working with normally passes motions by a simple majority. For an upcoming business item we have set the % higher to 80%. If an amendment is made or a motion to talbe is made do both of these need to meet the 80% or a simple majoirty?

A majority will do it (I don't care who "we" is). :)

That should satisfy Mr. Mervosh's concerns.

You can take a nap now, George. ;)

In spite of Dan's correct answer according to RONR of course, and his subsequent lack of concern, lord knows what the special rule of order they adopted actually says. Rest assured I won't lose sleep during that nap about it though.

If you have a special rule of order raising the voting threshold to 80%, that would not affect the vote required to amend it (still a majority) nor the vote required to lay it on the table (also a majority). Only the final vote on the motion would be affected.

Well, that is unless you have some other weird rules you haven't mentioned.

Archived