The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Term Limits for Board Members

Guest Pat Fenner

I was wondering what, if any, protocol is offered for Board Members' term limits?

RONR imposes no term limits. Often the best way to limit the length of time a particular person holds a particular office is to elect someone else.

From time to time someone will post a question on this forum about an organization's inability to fill an office (say, the presidency). They've got a perfectly good president who's wiling to serve but their bylaws say he's reached his term limit. So be careful what you wish for.

As Edgar so eloquently put it, the thing to do is simply to not elect them for a future term. You could also establish term limits in your bylaws, I suppose. If your members want to continue electing those board members, then it seems that there is nothing wrong from the assembly's perspective with them continuing in office.

True on all accounts. I just get frustrated with people sitting back and letting others do all the work, on the one hand, and leaders not working with an exit strategy, on the other hand! But, in the final analysis, I will NOT be losing any sleep on this one - I'll save that one for an errant child...or our country's economic mess... <_<

Thanks everyone - I'll get back to work now!!

As Edgar so eloquently put it, the thing to do is simply to not elect them for a future term. You could also establish term limits in your bylaws, I suppose. If your members want to continue electing those board members, then it seems that there is nothing wrong from the assembly's perspective with them continuing in office.

In some organizations, members feel it is disrespectful to vote for someone other than the current officers, so a term limit can be a welcome device to allow for a freedom of choice. It comes, however, with the sizable drawback mentioned by the esteemed guest Edgar.

Archived