The Official RONR Q & A Forums

BOD shuts down members message board

Guest Gail

Our national dog club has conducted business via a password protected message board using the same software as used here.

Our by-laws require one annual in person membership meeting. Special meetings must be in person. BOD meetings may be conducted several ways, including telecommunications which has been interpreted for years as permitting private BOD discussions and voting via IP Board software. Members do not have access to those forums.

http://www.kuvasz.co...ca/by-laws.html

For some years the membership had a forum on the IP Board where we could ask questions and make comments on club business. When a seated BOD objected to the questions asked, they made the forum "moderated". That lasted until the next BOD was seated and objected to even moderated questions so they voted to close the forum entirely.

Other than getting enough votes at the annual meeting to open the forum, or electing a BOD that is willing to entertain questions from the membership, can you give me any suggestions to open the forum again?

Also, if it is opened by a membership vote, is the membership under continuous threat of it being closed again by an unfriendly BOD? Could a length of time be part of the motion to open it up to prevent the BOD from closing it again?

Thanks for any advice. I guess civics, democracy, and fair play are no longer taught in school in this country.

Gail

Do the bylaws give the Board authority over the message board (I am aware you linked us to the bylaws but that question is for you all to answer and not us)? If they don't then the Board doesn't have the authority to shut down the board or interfere with it (how you all would then wrest control of the message board from the Board is something that probably won't be resolved using parliamentary procedure). If the bylaws do grant the Board authority over the message board then the question is whether they give the Board EXCLUSIVE authority over it.

Our national dog club has conducted business via a password protected message board using the same software as used here.

Our by-laws require one annual in person membership meeting. Special meetings must be in person. BOD meetings may be conducted several ways, including telecommunications which has been interpreted for years as permitting private BOD discussions and voting via IP Board software. Members do not have access to those forums.

http://www.kuvasz.co...ca/by-laws.html

For some years the membership had a forum on the IP Board where we could ask questions and make comments on club business. When a seated BOD objected to the questions asked, they made the forum "moderated". That lasted until the next BOD was seated and objected to even moderated questions so they voted to close the forum entirely.

Other than getting enough votes at the annual meeting to open the forum, or electing a BOD that is willing to entertain questions from the membership, can you give me any suggestions to open the forum again?

Also, if it is opened by a membership vote, is the membership under continuous threat of it being closed again by an unfriendly BOD? Could a length of time be part of the motion to open it up to prevent the BOD from closing it again?

Thanks for any advice. I guess civics, democracy, and fair play are no longer taught in school in this country.

Gail

If the general membership makes a decision, the board cannot take any action that conflicts with that decision, unless specifically authorized to act in such a capacity by a provision in the bylaws.

If you can't wait for the annual meeting, you could arrange for a special meeting to consider the matter, if your bylaws authorize them.

Alternatively, you could try to get the members to flood the board with e-mails (or actual letters) and phone calls to make it clear that there is a desire from the voting membership to see the discussion forum opened.

I may have missed it but I saw nothing in the bylaws that gives your board the general authority to do anything. There are specific instances where the board has jurisdiction but, as far as I could see, nothing that says anything like, "The executive board of our Society has full power and authority over the affairs of the Society between meetings of the membership."

I may have missed it but I saw nothing in the bylaws that gives your board the general authority to do anything.

AKC advises Clubs to makes their by-laws vague, but I think ours our deliberately vague so those in power can do what they chose depending on whose ox is being gored.

There IS the provision under

ARTICLE III ~ DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS

SECTION 1. Board of Directors

"General management of the Club's affairs shall be entrusted to the Board of Directors."

Tho I would think that would mean operational issues and dealings with vendors rather than policy debates among the Membership.

Thoughts?

"General management of the Club's affairs shall be entrusted to the Board of Directors."

Thanks. I'd like to say that it's in an odd place, tacked on the end of a paragraph like an afterthought, but the plain truth is that I missed it. Which goes to show how important it is to carefully read bylaws in their entirety, more than once, before attempting to interpret them. And, even then, it's something that's beyond the scope of this forum. I'd refer you to the Official Interpretation to which Mr. Novosielski provided a link, above.

AKC advises Clubs to makes their by-laws vague, but I think ours our deliberately vague so those in power can do what they chose depending on whose ox is being gored.

Tho I would think that would mean operational issues and dealings with vendors rather than policy debates among the Membership.

Thoughts?

I advise rejection of the advice to make bylaws "vague."

I advise rejection of the advice to make bylaws "vague."

I suspect the advice may have been not to be too specific. That is, not to include in the bylaws such things as the time the meetings begin or the amount of dues. Or that the board is responsible for X, Y, and Z. As RONR observes, "if the bylaws authorize certain things specifically, other things of the same class are thereby prohibited". It's a principle that can lead to unintended consequences.

I looked at the bylaws, and noticed that all bylaws amendments must be approved by the AKC -- so any non-vagueness would apparently have to get by the same people who advise vagueness :P ... maybe a bit of a challenge, despite being good advice in general.

Exactly. AKC's interpretation of the statement "General management of the Club's affairs shall be entrusted to the Board of Directors." is that the members have only those rights specifically provided to them in the bylaws. (Of course, AKC is notorious for its contradictions -- if you want a different answer, just ask a different person.)

I wouldn't think there would be any reason that some like-minded folks, all of whom happen to belong to the same club, couldn't start their own message board and discuss various items of interest, including any club business that was not conducted in executive session, would there? Obviously it would not be an "official" message board of the club, and as such would not be used to conduct any type of club business, but also would not be subject to being shut down by the BOD.

Exactly. AKC's interpretation of the statement "General management of the Club's affairs shall be entrusted to the Board of Directors." is that the members have only those rights specifically provided to them in the bylaws. (Of course, AKC is notorious for its contradictions -- if you want a different answer, just ask a different person.)

If they can't make up their minds, it sounds like you should go ahead and try your best to deal with it yourselves.

I wouldn't think there would be any reason that some like-minded folks, all of whom happen to belong to the same club, couldn't start their own message board and discuss various items of interest, including any club business that was not conducted in executive session, would there? Obviously it would not be an "official" message board of the club, and as such would not be used to conduct any type of club business, but also would not be subject to being shut down by the BOD.

I wouldn't think that either.

I don't want to delve too deeply into bylaws interpretation, which we are supposed to avoid here, but how exactly does the AKC's interpretation of anything get called upon? As far as I see, the bylaws of this organization make no direct mention of the AKC as a parent organization, and don't say anything about submitting this group's bylaws for interpretation to the AKC. The fact that an outside group is given specific authority to approve/disapprove the organization's proposed bylaws amendments doesn't give that outside group authority to interpret the bylaws as they stand... does it?

I see that organization members are individually required to agree to 'abide by the rules of the AKC' as a condition of membership, but that doesn't seem to cover it either.

Would such language be found in a charter issued by the national organization (as described in the footnote on RONR 11th ed. p. 12)? If so, would it be customary for the subsidiary organization's bylaws to make reference to the existence of a charter, or is that not common practice? [This is an area I know little about; thus the questions...]

Didn't we go over this a few weeks ago?

I don't want to delve too deeply into bylaws interpretation, which we are supposed to avoid here, but how exactly does the AKC's interpretation of anything get called upon?

The club is a member of the AKC and so is subject to the AKC's rules, regulations, bylaws, etc as well as their own. Part of the Discipline section in the AKC bylaws, for example, states that "The [AKC] Board of Directors shall have the power to prefer charges or to suspend from membership in the AKC any member club ... for violation of the member club’s constitution, bylaws, or rules."

Didn't we go over this a few weeks ago?

Something similar, yes, although in that case it was a Board trying to increase communication between members, rather than squash it. :)

Thoughts?

Frankly. I don't believe this is too much more vague that the general clause in the sample bylaws in RONR. The board would have the power to close the board, but this would be subject to rescission by the membership meeting. That assumes the bylaws do not grant the authority to the board exclusively in this matter.

Archived