The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resolutions to take action, when carried, vs waiting for approval of the minutes

Guest Guest_Jim

Dear RONR

I chair a subcommittee which reports to a parent committee.

My subcommittee adopts resolutions which can be:

- for members of our subcommittee to take action prior to our next meeting (orders), or

- to advise our parent committee with respect to actions that we propose it should consider to take

My question has to do with the relevance of minutes' approval to interim action, when there is no intent that the actions await our next subcommittee meeting's approval of our minutes.

This is easy when we are talking my own subcommittee. Once we have resolved any orders (or delegations) to be pursued before the next meeting, we do not wait until after our next meeting's approval of our minutes. When anyone would have a question, post-adjournment, as to what should be done, they check with the meeting secretary or myself. Where interim actions risk to get dropped, the secretary and I might distribute, by email, the action items even before the draft minutes have been generated.

What about recommendations to our parent committee? Am I supposed to delay an entire subcommittee meeting cycle (in order that the minutes that attest to the decision be ratified) or can I advance my subcommittee's recommendations (resolutions), which had been duly carried, as soon as my subcommittee meeting has adjourned? Is there a basis for the parent committee to refuse to entertain recommendations until after a further obligate subcommittee cycle? Thx!

-- Jim

I'm a little unclear on your question, but...

If your committee is just making recommendations to your parent body of things that ought (in your view) be done, then those things cannot (or should not) be done until after the parent body (presumably) approves of the actions.

There is no need to wait for any minutes to be produced, however. Once the parent body approves, then the task (or whatever) should be promptly done. And once your committee decides (majority vote) on a recommendation, you just pass that recommendation up the line. This report of your committee, with the embedded recommendation(s) is, in effect, the "minutes" of your committee's work.

Dear RONR

- for members of our subcommittee to take action prior to our next meeting (orders), or

I will assume that the subcommittee has the power to do this.

- to advise our parent committee with respect to actions that we propose it should consider to take

My question has to do with the relevance of minutes' approval to interim action, when there is no intent that the actions await our next subcommittee meeting's approval of our minutes.

This is easy when we are talking my own subcommittee. Once we have resolved any orders (or delegations) to be pursued before the next meeting, we do not wait until after our next meeting's approval of our minutes. When anyone would have a question, post-adjournment, as to what should be done, they check with the meeting secretary or myself. Where interim actions risk to get dropped, the secretary and I might distribute, by email, the action items even before the draft minutes have been generated.

This is correct. A motion is adopted when it is adopted.
What about recommendations to our parent committee? Am I supposed to delay an entire subcommittee meeting cycle (in order that the minutes that attest to the decision be ratified) or can I advance my subcommittee's recommendations (resolutions), which had been duly carried, as soon as my subcommittee meeting has adjourned? Is there a basis for the parent committee to refuse to entertain recommendations until after a further obligate subcommittee cycle? Thx!

-- Jim

Your committee should be adopting motions to report to the parent committee, which may include recommendations. You or another member should then deliver the reports at the next available opportunity. A motion, once adopted, takes effect immediately, and does not await approval of the minutes containing it (although, I might add, as a (sub)committee, you have no needs to actually approve minutes)

Dear RONR

-- Jim

Generally, committees and subcommittees do not take minutes. However, approval of the minutes is not a ratification of the action taken; it is merely agreement that the content of the minutes is accurate.

Archived