The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special called meeting

Guest jenny

A special called meeting was called for the purpose electing a new officer to replace a vacancy. Can the bylaws be discussed by members of the executive board saying who is eligible to seek office and who is not? I would have thought that all members should have known who was eligible. Please help me solve this.

Thanks, Jenny

A special called meeting was called for the purpose electing a new officer to replace a vacancy. Can the bylaws be discussed by members of the executive board saying who is eligible to seek office and who is not? I would have thought that all members should have known who was eligible. Please help me solve this.

Thanks, Jenny

It's the chair's duty to rule on questions of procedure, subject to appeal, in which case the assembly decides.

It's the chair's duty to rule on questions of procedure, subject to appeal, in which case the assembly decides.

If, in debate during the nominations, the bylaws are (simply) referenced in a way to illustrate that a candidate is not eligible for office, is that a violation of the restriction at special meetings of transacting business only prescribed in the call of the meeting?

If, in debate during the nominations, the bylaws are (simply) referenced in a way to illustrate that a candidate is not eligible for office, is that a violation of the restriction at special meetings of transacting business only prescribed in the call of the meeting?

No.

Request for Information

Parliamentary Inquiry

Point of Order

Appeal

These would all be in order in regards to the matter.

EDITED: to conform to modern English.

A special called meeting was called for the purpose electing a new officer to replace a vacancy. Can the bylaws be discussed by members of the executive board saying who is eligible to seek office and who is not? I would have thought that all members should have known who was eligible.

Just to be clear, is this a special meeting of the executive board, or of the general membership?

At general membership meetings, who is or is not a member of the executive board is immaterial. They are there as members like any other. They do not get to "say" who is eligible, though they have the same rights as any member to give their opinion. But the matter is up to the membership to decide, and of course anyone may and probably should refer to the bylaws in making that determination.

this was a specall call metting to replace officers that had resign it is in our by laws that the e board will re place them with the approval of the genral memebership is this ok

Can you explain this further? Whose meeting is this -- a meeting of the general membership, or a meeting of the board? If it is a board meeting, how does the general membership express its approval (or disapproval, presumably)? If it is a general membership meeting, how does the board take action there (the board doesn't even exist -- or, to put it more gently, the board isn't in session -- at a meeting of the general membership).

I am a member of the American Legion Auxiliary and our bylaws state that all officers are Executive Officers and they will meet at the call of the President. Our President called a special called meeting of the Executive Committee for the sole purpose of replacing the officers that had resigned. This is in our bylaws. This Executive meeting was held on 10-5-11 and then the general membership met on 10-19-11. The minutes of the Executive Committee meeting were read, a motion was made to accept (Our bylaws also state that all Executive meetings will be approved by the general membership). I guess my question is: when the minutes of the Executive Committee are approved, does that mean that the nominations and replacements of officers were accepted or do we need to nominate and approve each of the replacement officers individually by the general membership?

I guess my question is: when the minutes of the Executive Committee are approved, does that mean that the nominations and replacements of officers were accepted or do we need to nominate and approve each of the replacement officers individually by the general membership?

No, approving the minutes doesn't have anything to to with adopting the actions taken in the minutes, just approving the wording of the minutes themselves.

But why would the general membership approve the Executive Committee minutes? How would the members know if the minutes are accurate? Assemblies usually approve their own minutes.

If the general membership is required to approve Exec. Committee actions, then motions of some sort would need to be adopted to that effect at the general membership meeting, probably based on a report of the committee.

Archived