The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Phone Polls

Guest Richard

I'm a member of a Town Council, 7 members of Council and a Mayor with tie-breaking powers.

From time to time the Town Manager/Town Clerk will conduct a phone (or email) poll when time sensitive matters arise between regular Council meetings, held monthly. The poll question is then added to the agenda for the next regular meeting to be Ratified by the Council in open session.

I've recently heard (un-verified) that phone/email polls can NOT be done and I see nothing mentioned in RONR 11th Edition.

Anyone have any ideas/advice on this?

Thanks for your help!

Richard

++++++

I'm a member of a Town Council, 7 members of Council and a Mayor with tie-breaking powers.

From time to time the Town Manager/Town Clerk will conduct a phone (or email) poll when time sensitive matters arise between regular Council meetings, held monthly. The poll question is then added to the agenda for the next regular meeting to be Ratified by the Council in open session.

I've recently heard (un-verified) that phone/email polls can NOT be done and I see nothing mentioned in RONR 11th Edition.

Thanks for your help!

Richard

++++++

Since most states have sunshine laws governing such matters, an attorney should be consulted to determine the legal restraints placed on the council, in regards to making decisions privately.

Thank you JDStackpole, don't suppose you (or someone) can point me to the section of RONR 11th Edition that covers this topic?

Thank you Tim, this question will come up during our next Council Meeting and our attorney will be asked to advise.

As a note, Town Staff can take action resulting from the phone/email poll prior to ratification in open session. Ratification can become a proceedural process that serves only to advise the public of what's already been done with approval by the Council, or a majority thereof.

Thank you JDStackpole and Tim!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for your help!

Richard

++++++

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 486, l. 33 to p. 487, l. 12.

The rules stated there are made particularly in reference to boards, but (except for the rule that every member must be notified of every meeting) are applicable equally to other assemblies.

The correct way to deal with matters that "can't wait" for the next regular meeting is to call a Special Meeting (some states provide for several types, with different rules for each).

If the council finds itself called to an inconvenient number of these each month, it should review the job description of the Town Manager to ascertain why competent prior planning is not already included among the duties of the position.

Archived