The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reading seriatim to Adopt Bylaws

Guest Karen

Is there any abbreviated way to allow for the adoptin of bylaws besides reading seriatim at a mass organizational meeting? The Bylaws committee has done a thorough job of drafting the bylaws and they will be reviewed by an attorney and agreed upon by the parenting organization, prior to presentation to those interested in establishing the organization.

RONR p. 558 says that a complete set of bylaws is commonly considered by article or section. While I suppose you all could try to ramrod the bylaws through by considering it as a whole I would not recommend it. The bylaws are the organization's rules of engagement and it is better to take some time and get it done right the first time rather than rushing it then finding problems later that need to be fixed. Just because the committee considers itself as having done a good job in drafting the bylaws doesn't mean that others won't have other ideas. If they are as well prepared as the committee thinks they are then the members shouldn't have a problem with adopting them after being given the chance to consider them as fully as they feel is needed.

Is there any abbreviated way to allow for the adoptin of bylaws besides reading seriatim at a mass organizational meeting? The Bylaws committee has done a thorough job of drafting the bylaws and they will be reviewed by an attorney and agreed upon by the parenting organization, prior to presentation to those interested in establishing the organization.

If you want to adopt bylaws without reading them, it will have to be done without objection, since they must be read upon the demand of a single member.

As an important note, it is the assembly that will decide the final content and adopt the bylaws, not the attorney or committee.

I'd suggest that a parliamentarian would be a good choice in lieu of (or in addition to) an attorney. I wouldn't hire a parliamentarian to review a contract, but in reviewing a set of bylaws I would not be surprised to learn that a parliamentarian spotted more potential trouble than an attorney, at least with respect to rules of order.

Are your bylaws unusually heavy with legal matters?

I'd suggest that a parliamentarian would be a good choice in lieu of (or in addition to) an attorney. I wouldn't hire a parliamentarian to review a contract, but in reviewing a set of bylaws I would not be surprised to learn that a parliamentarian spotted more potential trouble than an attorney, at least with respect to rules of order.

I completely concur.

Practically speaking, I think the answer is no. I cannot imagine why an organizing society would find it inopportune to have the fullest-possible debate on the motion to adopt the bylaws. The presiding officer should certainly proceed as if the assembly will consider the bylaws seriatim. I would be more than surprised to hear that a member moved to consider them as a whole, much less that the assembly adopted such a motion.

Archived