The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions

Guest nm

What fails, the motion to do what the EC wants, or the motion to overturn it? And where did you anticipate "it" being brought up again, in the EC or in the general assembly?

In general, a motion that fails can be renewed at any future meeting. But if the assembly failed to overrule the board, and the motion gets fully carried out in the interim, any motion to Rescind it would be out of order (and pointless).

I'm not sure, because you didn't really answer my questions.

But, continuing to operate on guesswork:

If the motion in the general assembly was one to overturn the action of the executive board, and that motion to overturn failed, and if the action passed by the executive board has not been carried out, then the assembly can try again, yes.

The reason it would be brought up again is because at the meeting quorum was barely reached and some of the members want to bring it up agian due to not having a proper say in the discussion and the opportunity to vote. I am fairly new to roberts rules of order and would just like to know the procedure for this. Is this out of order?

The reason it would be brought up again is because at the meeting quorum was barely reached and some of the members want to bring it up agian due to not having a proper say in the discussion and the opportunity to vote. I am fairly new to roberts rules of order and would just like to know the procedure for this. Is this out of order?

It would help to have more detail, but in general a motion to Rescind an adopted motion is in order, so long as it's not impossible to undo what has been done. If the motion to Rescind is defeated, it cannot be renewed at the same session in connection with the same matter, but it CAN be renewed at a later session.

It doesn't matter what the members' motives are to make the motion again at a future meeting. Yes, as several previous posters said, the motion can be made again at a later meeting (assuming the action has not been fully carried out in the interim).

'Any motion that is still applicable can be renewed at any later session [which generally means meeting], except where a specific rule prevents its renewal...' (RONR 11th ed. p. 337 ll. 22-23; the stuff in square brackets is my interjection). The procedure, at the next meeting, would be to make a motion to rescind, just as was presumably done at the previous membership meeting. There is no requirement to mention the fact that this same motion was made before at a previous meeting (if that's what you are wondering about).

Archived