The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic Voting and Meetings

msdpolich

Good hevvins if everyone on Earth bought copies of p. 97 - 99. Think of the royalties. We could all buy ourselves fishing boats and silver Porsches, instead of waiting for the website to award them out every 100,000 discussion threads like we been all this time and everybody remember Kim offered me a ride on his?.

Any advice or pointers on electronic voting and meettings?

Our group goes back and forth on this. Any point of reference or do's and dont's ?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Think very carefully about the details, and imagine some 'what if' situations. Look at what other groups have done. Don't assume that a one-line amendment to the bylaws -- "electronic meetings and electronic votes are permitted" -- will be adequate. Such an amendment would indeed grant permission, but wouldn't adequately (not by a long shot) describe how to actually carry out the processes which are now permitted.

Maybe I'm a voice in the wilderness (or in danger of being Wrath-o'-Dan'd), but I think RONR is admirably suited to running e-meetings, particularly by e-mail. Redefinitions of some few key words in the book, a couple of bylaws and eight or so straightforward Rules of Order and the rest follows swimmingly. Just send me an e-mail with your e-mail and I'll happily send you an essay or two 'splaining it all.

Of course, e-meetings aren't "the same" as in-person meetings (with all that "simultaneous aural communication" going on) but the rules work just as well. And, I contend, it is perfectly feasible to "deliberate" at an electronic distance, in an extended assembly.

Maybe I'm a voice in the wilderness (or in danger of being Wrath-o'-Dan'd), but I think RONR is admirably suited to running e-meetings, particularly by e-mail. Redefinitions of some few key words in the book, a couple of bylaws and eight or so straightforward Rules of Order and the rest follows swimmingly. Just send me an e-mail with your e-mail and I'll happily send you an essay or two 'splaining it all.

Of course, e-meetings aren't "the same" as in-person meetings (with all that "simultaneous aural communication" going on) but the rules work just as well. And, I contend, it is perfectly feasible to "deliberate" at an electronic distance, in an extended assembly.

You're not alone in the wilderness.

I'm a proud member of an organization that does it right, as are others on this forum.

You're not alone in the wilderness.

I'm a proud member of an organization that does it right, as are others on this forum.

Okay, how many people (on average) participate in these meetings, how long (on average) do they take, and do these assemblies actually do anything of any real consequence?

Archived