The Official RONR Q & A Forums

tabling motions to (prevent) change the Constitution

Guest David Guest

Changes to our club's Constitution are made at our AGM. Notices of such changes are to be read at the membership meeting a month earlier. I read my Notices into the record of that meeting, and sent a copy by email for distribution to members. One executive has said that he will ask the AGM to table my motions before they are made (for consideration in 12 months at our next AGM). He says that he and some others need time to think about my motions. I believe that the 28 days between my reading them and the AGM is long enough to think about them. I believe that they are urgent, as some deal with clarifying our financial reporting processes, which now are a mess. We are now faced with extremely brief Treasurer's reports such as "Yup, we still have money." and "I have been too busy to prepare a report." and "We have $2305 in the bank." It has been many years since we had a good year end review of our finances.

I have read the FAQ section on processes to get rid of a motion. A few questions remain. Can this guy table all my motions at once, for study by the Exec some time next year, before I make them and before any explanation or discussion? Does he have to move to delay them one at a time, after they are read? He has said also that he will be getting rid of them to save time at the AGM. I believe that moving to delay them will take at least as long as voting on each motion.

Changes to our club's Constitution are made at our AGM. Notices of such changes are to be read at the membership meeting a month earlier. I read my Notices into the record of that meeting, and sent a copy by email for distribution to members. One executive has said that he will ask the AGM to table my motions before they are made (for consideration in 12 months at our next AGM). He says that he and some others need time to think about my motions. I believe that the 28 days between my reading them and the AGM is long enough to think about them. I believe that they are urgent, as some deal with clarifying our financial reporting processes, which now are a mess. We are now faced with extremely brief Treasurer's reports such as "Yup, we still have money." and "I have been too busy to prepare a report." and "We have $2305 in the bank." It has been many years since we had a good year end review of our finances.

I have read the FAQ section on processes to get rid of a motion. A few questions remain. Can this guy table all my motions at once, for study by the Exec some time next year, before I make them and before any explanation or discussion? Does he have to move to delay them one at a time, after they are read? He has said also that he will be getting rid of them to save time at the AGM. I believe that moving to delay them will take at least as long as voting on each motion.

A motion to Lay on the Table (table) does not apply to this situation and would be out of under under the conditions you describe.

The motions cannot be Postponed to the next session, if it is a year away.

If he feels more investigation into the matter is necessary, he could move to refer the matter to a committee, but this requires a second and a majority vote. He can't order it to be done by himself.

If you have enough members on your side, you can get the amendments adopted. ;)

Archived