The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ineligible to vote due to work schedule?

Guest gallhue

my work schedule interferes with my requirements to be eligible to vote at company elections......does RONR protect me from being able to vote?

Are you saying you can't make the meeting?

RONR recognizes the existence of absentees as a characteristic of a deliberative assembly. The members who are present at a meeting make decisions on behalf of the organization.

It sounds like the bylaws of your organization require you to attend some number of meetings before you become a member. Is that correct?

There is nothing in RONR that would prevent a brand new member from voting in his/her first meeting. If there is a limitation in your bylaws, you have to follow what they say.

My suggestion would be to consult with the Board, or whoever is in charge of membership at the organization. The may be able to help. Unfortunately, a doubt RONR will be able to help.

That being said, if you are on a Board or Committee see if you can arrange to have the meeting held on another date if possible.

due to my work schedule i cant meet the requirements to be eligible to vote.

i need to make 1 more meeting but the meeting falls during my work hours so i cant attend it and there for be eligible to vote at the january meeting

The bylaws supesede RONR. If they say you're ineligible to vote, you're ineligible.

i need to make 1 more meeting but the meeting falls during my work hours so i cant attend it and there for be eligible to vote at the january meeting

Have you tried asking the boss for the day/time off or asking a co-worker to switch shifts? I have had to do that more times than I can count when meetings take place when I have to work.

Archived